Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Impact Analysis (TIA)

3 replies [Last post]
medhat wageeh
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Alsalmu Alikom,Hello everyone .. I like to greet you all first ... I have an important question and I hope that you take advantage sensitive if possible ... I work in infrastructure project ... In short ... the beginning of the our project was the first October 2011 .. Baseline has been approved in October 2012 ... the period between the beginning of the project and baseline approval we had received many site Instructions , the most important is to change the design (redesign of every thing) a part of the project which is located on the critical path of the baseline ... before the approval (october 2012) of the baseline we dont have any update, wortherefore we produced a TIA Based on the Baseline, Imapacted as planned, and we already submitted it to Client,

Firstly, the client now (April 2013) is asking to update the baseline on the date of every instruction we recieved before approval of baseline, does it make sense??

Secondly, if we suppose that the delay before  the instruction is the resposibility of the contractor, and the client ask the contractor to redesign the project or part of the project which is located in the critical and longest path of the baseline

How do we calculate the length of time before to the instructions given by the client to the contractor, ??

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Medhat

It seems that you are asking for a basic tutorial in delay analysis - in which case buy my book.

In an Impacted as Planned analysis every event has to be impacted in strict chronological order of the Impact Date of the event.

No delay event can be treated in isolation but must be considered within the order of all the others.

SO - Set up the events schedule and impact ALL the events in strict chronological order - its the only way.

Best regards

Mike Testro

medhat wageeh
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks very much for clarfication , my next question is, Suppose I am a contractor work in a tower and I am now in the implementation phase of floor no.16 and received instruction from the owner to change the overall design of this tower,the time elapsed of the project was 18 months .. some delays resulting from the contractor by 4 months and was probably in the floor no. 20. Whatlogical methods to calculate the delay caused by the instructions and what we consider delays caused by the contractor 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Medhat

Yes it does make sense.

The client is trying to ascertain concurrency between his delay and the contractor's delay.

So this is what you do:

1. Create an event schedule where all the client instructions - including the one that you consider to be "most important" - and all the contractors delays are on an excell sheet.

2. Calculate the impact date of each event - that is the EARLIEST DATE THAT THE DELAYED TASK COULD START after the event including design and procurement etc.

3. Find the impacted event using UTID - there may be more than 1.

4. Sort the excell sheet into ascending date order of the Impact Dates.

5. Impact each event on the baseline in turn and note the delay effect - if any.

Remember that an event that causes delay will change the critical path so the next event may not have any effect.

Better still by my book on Basic Priciples of Delay Analysis where the full process is described with worked examples.

www.expertdelayanalysis.com £25.00 on Paypal.

Best regards

Mike Testro