Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Back to Basic - Remeasurement

9 replies [Last post]
Hernando Pesca
User offline. Last seen 16 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi ALL:

Could anyone please give me references or guidelines in quantity measurement of RC columns and beams crossing. Usually beams are measured net from the faces of column; however, our counterpart would not agree with this. Our standing method of measurement (for an over 40000 sq.m. of bldg.) does not stipulate any.

Thanks...

Replies

Hernando Pesca
Andrew/Rodel/Clive,

Thanks...
Andrew, we took a stand just like you’ve said. It is not a close chapter yet, and I am looking at 70/30% sharing of the common volume.

Regards,

Hernan
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
My suggestion is that as your SOMM has no definition go to another and see what that says. Do a trawel through all the SOMM you can find and see what they say.
If the majority says columns are measured floor to floor as you are hoping you have a reasonable case to advance that even though your SOMM does not define it, normal practice dictates that it should be measured thus.
Something along the lines of contra preferentum

good luck
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Hernan,

If the thickness of the column is larger than the width of the beam, I think you have a valid reason of claiming the column rate. You can argue that beam tag number ends on the face of the column. It also make easier when you do the quantification so you don’t need to subtract the beam volume on the column volume. You maybe face the same problem on the slab if that is also a separate rate. In case that slab rate is same rate as beam I’m afraid you need to follow the beam rate. Good Luck.
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Can I make a suggestion?
Consider the formwork, measure the formwork for the beam and the concrete and re-bar contained.
Do the same for the column, in other words measure the beam from face of column to face of column. The column is measured from top of slab to top of slab.

I am only a mere planner with no QS training so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
Hernando Pesca
Rodel,

Thanks alot. - You have a valid point. But not all beams maintain their tag when crossing the column, and generally beam widths are smaller than column thickness. Our case, the column has the higher rate than that of the beam.

Yes, it is strange that such condition is not defined in our method of measurement.

Hernan
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Hernan,

Usual computation especially if beams width is larger than thickness of column when it crosses the method of measurement should use a beam rate. It is also clearly shown on the drawing that the beam number/name or beam tag number is the same after crossing the column. You can make an argument by showing the detail drawings and rebar schedule. Lintel beam are normally end from column to column and the column rates prevails. Maybe you can use the detail drawing as reference. Column name or column tag number change on every floor or levels. There should be a heavy civil or building pagination that you can use as another reference. Strange to hear that does not defined in your contract method of measurements especially on bulk quantities that you mentioned.

Rodel
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
you have to illustrate it in a detailed manner (if you got the drawings). I don’t see any problem with that. It’s just a matter of presentation and calculations in terms of cubic meters or whatever.

make a tabulation of the dimensions of your columns and beams (supported by your drawing / detail)
Hernando Pesca

Thanks for replying. - The structural framework of the project is already completed. It is a contractual matter. I am talking about the common volume of concrete when beams intersect the column. Where would that volume be added- to column qty. or to beam? Usually, it is on column.

Right away, anyone would say that it would be a minimal quantity, but not on this project. There is also big difference in their rates.

Our Method of Measurement does not say the delineation of qty. when beams cross the column.

I am looking for a written guideline of a reputable standard.

Thanks once again.

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
what do you mean? are you doing a structural design or just taking the quantity of reinforced concrete?

if it is design, you do some structural calculations!

if it is just quantities, then check the details of your drawings!