Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative float applies to chain

2 replies [Last post]
Daniel Zepko
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am fairly new to Asta Project Planner, I am troubled that the contractor has submitted a schedule indicating activities with remining durations indicate finish dates prior to the data date.

For example, one activity indicated a remaing duration of 10days; however, the activity was shown completing on September 27, 2017  or prior the progress date or data date of OCT 1, 2017.

I should note the activity finishing September 27, 2017 was also indicating -20 days float (however the completion date of the project was maintained). I am aware there is an option under reschedule (Negative Float Applies to Chain) to show this true status of the schedule which is behind schedule. 

However i am wordering why this option is available, it goes against everything i thought i knew about scheduling. It is also appears that the Contractor was not aware of this option and/or just didn't reveiw the update before submittal.

I dont recall seeing any discussions on the PP forum concering this issues so i would like to open it up for discussions.

Thanks

Dan

Replies

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Daniel,

Are you reviewing a PDF or soft copy of the schedule?

I suspect that the file has not been rescheduled to the progress update date.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Daniel

I do not recognise that situation in any aspect of asta Powerproject.

The software does not schedule negative float but flags up a warning that it has been created and will not continue until the blockage has been removed.

Best regards

Mike T