Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do i overlap the split activity?

7 replies [Last post]
Mike planner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

Please can i know how do i overlap the slilt section in a bar as shown below please? I have been using astapower project for many years now but I found the screen shot in Asta Powerproject website so I think it must be a way to overlap the split tasks.

Many thanks,

Mike 

wysiwyg_imageupload::

Replies

Mike planner

Thanks Mike and Ben.

P.S. Ben, i actually spoken with you a few hunded of times in this few years! I didnt know you are Ben from Asta. haha 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ben

So thats what I have been doing wrong these last 20 years - silly me.

Best regards

Mike T.

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Close - but the other way around...  If you are operating in 'Task Per Line' mode you are actually operating in the same way as other planning systems with one task represented on each line.  And thus no possibility to have overlapping tasks as each task is on its own line.

You need to be operating with 'Task Per Line' mode turned OFF in order to experience the joys of multiple tasks per line and to therefore see the overlapping behaviour! 

Ben

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Mike Planner

You are operating in Task Per Line Mode - a unique feature in Asta Powerproject - no other software has it. (maybe Spider?)

The overlap is when you do not use FS links through the cascade of tasks.

If some tasks are linked to work concurrently then they will overlap - this is not good planning practice.

Be grateful that the software allows this to be displayed - up to v 10 this was not possible.

Use the FS links correctly and the problem will disapear.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Overlapping tasks are enabled via the Bar and Task Properties so that you can have them overlapping in some lines, but not others. 

If I could get insert images to work, I'd show you the dialogue...!  However, the help file does outline how to acheive this - read the topic called "Specifying that tasks on a bar can overlap".

Ben @ Asta

Mike planner

Hi Derek,

I tried but it doesnt work.

Regards,

Mike 

capture.jpg

Derek Miller
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline

Mike

Go into Power Project help (?) and search for 'Overlapping tasks'.

Derek