Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path Drag in PowerProject

5 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Asta Management

In a recent discussion Stephen Devaux wrote this sentence:

I know you are very active with Asta, and in light of your remark above, I feel I must ask: if Asta wants to incorporate modern technology and metrics, why doesn't it include something as fundamental to CPM as critical path drag computation? Vladimir programmed Spider to do it four years ago. Another package is supposed to be coming out with a release that computes it later this year.  

He has also offered to help you with the algorithms.

Can it be on the next version "wish list"

Best regards

Mike T.

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Ah, Mike, but will you still need me? Will you still feed me?

I'd be very happy if Asta's next release includes drag computation.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi All

Glad to see that the PP system works.

I am looking for the next issue v 13.

Don't get over excited Stephen - get the drag issue in then try for the next bits.

ONLY 64? Get some grey hairs before boasting.

Best regards

Mike T.

Stephen Devaux

"It turns out that they do already have a copy of Stephen's book...!"

So THEY are the ones who bought that copy!  ;-)

Ben and Mike, thanks a lot, both. I'm 64, and I'd like to see drag and drag cost, both of which I feel are metrics that can greatly aid project management, become standard practice before I boot the pail.

Ben, I'd also suggest they might try the Defense AT&L Magazine article, and the two new books, each of which has a chapter on critical path drag, on PM in the Oil & Gas Industry and the upcoming Handbook on Emergency Response edited by two people from the Air Force Institute of Technology.

I'd also add that the Total Project Control book was written fifteen years ago. I like to think I'm educable, and I have certainly learned some new things in the past decade. The DIPP Index and S-curves are new and, I believe, valuable. If they want to talk about any of this, we can set up a phone call.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello both,

I have passed your comments onto our product management team, to review for potential inclusion in a future release.  It turns out that they do already have a copy of Stephen's book...!

Most improvements such as this one are thrown open to our user community and debated at our User Groups.  We held the latest round of those in Feb/April and currently working on the items which came out highest in the votes. 

I'll be back on here with any updates from the development team on this subject.

Best wishes,

Ben @ Asta

Stephen Devaux

Wow, Mike! I am VERY impressed by such swift action!