Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Does anyone (successfully) record as-built data against a baseline in Asta ??

8 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Had a on-going problem for years now with recording as-built data in Asta against a baseline programme. The columns I have set up are:

Title, duration, Percent complete (or overall percent complete), planned percent complete, start, finish, actual start, actual finish.

I then want to simply record where activities start and finish in relation to one another, so each activity title has 2 bars, its planned start, finish (the baseline "Contract Programme" that never changes), and its actual start and finish on site.

The programmes are fully logic linked, and by rescheduling at each progress period, I need to see a "what if" scenario of delay to handover.

Now, so far, this all sounds like a pretty standard, run-of-the-mill process...? My problem stems from Asta deciding to move bars that have previously had an actual start date applied to them... I can give a bar an actual start and then (randomly) Asta will decide that on rescheduling, it will move the actual start to a different date.

If anyone does this process successfully, please can you advise your settigns within the software eg in Tools/Options and in Format /Barchart etc

Thanks

Replies

Tom Howard

Many thanks everyone.

Yes, I contacted asta support and they recommend using "Overall Percentage Complete". Now this SEEMS to do the job, however I have used it before and encountered the problems with Asta moving previously "As Built" start dates. I will eport back if / when this happens.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 days 7 hours ago. Offline

Tom,

I had the same issue with Spider Project as it displays values as well as bars on a single activity line with height increased as to accommodate up to 4 bars (Current Early and Late at center vertical alignment, Baseline Early shifted upwards, Compared Early shifted downward) and compared values on different columns, not on different lines.

I figured it out by creating a Portfolio of versions to be compared. I believe the details on how job versions are saved and transferred might differ, also we have the option to create multiple WBS but for your need only one is enough.

Look at the following figure and perhaps you can figure it out, I will not be of much help as Spider interface differ but maybe others will.

Photobucket

Best regards,

Rafael

Rory Hoban
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Tom

If you send a copy of your ASTA project to ASTA technical support,

They can look look at it and advise what you have missed.

I have been using ASTA for a very long time and the support team are super.

You can spend many hours looking at a problem which they can solve in minutes

I have contacted them a number of times about very major problem, but when they looked at the programme, it is a very simple problem and its something I have done.

They also use netview, which I think is a great piece of software 

100% marks to ASTA technical support Lads and Lasses

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline

Tom,

Have you tried discussing this problem with ASTA technical support?

Rory Hoban
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike / Tom

Looked the this web site - Very poor site, Got bored, will not be going back there or recommend it.

No interaction at all, Clicked on every page no responce

just add to cart at a cost

Clicked on try before you buy and got

Error 404 - Not Found 

Tom Howard

Many thanks Mike, will check the website out

Tom

Tom Howard

Many thanks Mike, will check the website out

Tom

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Tom

This is the way I do it for a Time Impact analysis and it is vital that you DO NOT SAVE THE FILE.

1.  Open your contract programme

2.  Delate all the logic - select any link then Edit Select All and delete - also remove all constraints by filtering.

3.  Copy paste your As Built start and finish dates from your spreadsheet

4.  Creat a Baseline using the Baseline What if Manager

5.  Close the file BUT DO NOT SAVE IT.

6.  Open the file and open the created baseline.

It is a different method if you are doing an As Built but For analysis

All of this and much much more is in the Tuition Modules at Planning Academy.

www.planningacademy.org

Best regards

Best regards

Mike Testro