Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Key Performance Indicator(s) for Planning Department.

6 replies [Last post]
Jubin Ahdi
User offline. Last seen 15 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I am working in the planning department in an engineering firm. Our company has requested all departments to provide with the KPI(s) (Key Performance Indicators) to measure the improvement of each department.

For a servicing department, the typical KPIs are easy to put in place. These are such, delay to respond to customer requests, the customer satisfaction, etc.

But do you have any idea about the KPIs for project planners and their performance? How it would be measured and how it could be improved?

It’s a delicate point to differentiate the planner performance in planning with the project plan which might be affected with other delay factors, outside of the scope of the planner.

Best regards,

Jubin

Replies

Sreejith Nair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Some examples are :
1)Average delay (in days) for reports (-ve:good, +ve:bad)
2)% Planned jobs = Number of jobs planned/Total number of jobs during a specific period (say month)
3)in each project : Number of hrs spent on unplanned activities / Total project manhours
4)Time taken to schedule 100 activities
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Jubin,

The Major requirement in each process is to reduce the cost of production and increase the customer satisfaction.

You will need to analyze your products (what you are delivering to others) and make sure that the scope, time, and budget is achieved to the satisfaction of the customer.

Being responsible for a single process within the organization, it would be "new thinking" to consider the people who give you the information and the people who receive your products as your customers.

Best Regards,

Samer
Jubin Ahdi
Dear Dieter,

Thank you very much. Actually I signed up in the KPILibrary (as a free account) and currently I’m developing my KPIs there.

Thank you very much Chris for your comment too.

Thanks again, merry Christmas and happy new year to both of you.

Jubin
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Jubin,

Dieter has given you really good advice; I’ve found http://kpilibrary.com/ to be very useful.

Good luck

Chris Oggham
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Jubin

maybe you’ll have a better feeling on KPIs after a look into those sites.

- http://kpilibrary.com/; registration required without costs
- http://www.epmreview.com/KPI-Library.html

Regards

Dieter
Jubin Ahdi
For example, I can think of the required man-hours for developing the time schedule of the project.

This KPI can be measured for each project and considering the extent of the project (i.e. the number of activities). Then an average could be calculated (xxx manhours per activity).

This could be a target for reducing by using previous project experience, using more efficient plannning methods, etc.