Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Global change of the Relationship type

15 replies [Last post]
Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

We have a standalone project where the tasks are currently linked FS and I would like to change the relationship to SS.   The few tasks that would need to be FS I cna always change back afterward.   Is there a method ?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 22 hours 15 min ago. Offline

For some inexplicable reason people insist on reviving old discussions, it seems like Ron Beachy the originator of this discussion is no longer active at Planning Planet.

http://www.planningplanet.com/users/1718-ron-beechey/view/associates

http://www.planningplanet.com/users/1718-ron-beechey

• Practicing Since: Nov-1973
  • Current year      2018
  • To date years of practice        45
  • Assume started practice at age  25
  • Estimated Current Age  70

Maybe retired living in paradise.

As I said before some/many of us consider disrespectul opening such old discussions.  A complaint I have seen many times before. 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

yes display detail successor relationship but you can not do it as a global change 

Rafael Davila

Anderson,

Are you referring to my posting of Wed, 2011-08-31 09:05, that is over 6 years ago.  So old I cannot follow the posted images that were deleted long ago when the file hosting service changed their rules.  If this is so then you are over 6 years late to get into the discussion about my postings.  

The discussion:

• Started on Mon, 2011-08-29 14:25
  • Was active until Thu, 2011-09-01 23:03
  • then INACTIVE FOR OVER FIVE YEARS !                                                                    
  • Was resuscitated on Wed, 2016-10-26 08:07 – over 5 years after active discussion ended.
  • Was re-resuscitated on Thu, 2016-10-27 12:31
  • Was re-re-resuscitated by you on Thu, 2018-03-29 16:02 – over 6 years after active discussion ended. 

For obvious reasons many of us do not believe it is a good idea to re-open discussions so old.  

• I wonder why Planning Planet does not lock discussions after some inactivity, say 6 months or at maximum 1 year.

Best Regards,

Rafael

ANDERSON BARBOSA
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Rafael Davila, what does your reply have to do with the question?!

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Ron

What version of P6 do you have ? I believe that starting with version 15 that the relationship type is now available as a column. 

Pietro Dimicchelis
User offline. Last seen 7 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

I think I have the solution that could help you.

1. First, select all activities that you wanna change relationship type;

2. Right click and choose Asign -> Predecessor;

Now, what happens here, if you enter the ID of the predecessor activity and hit the + (asign) button, you'll get this activity as a predecessor with FS relationship type. Now try to add again the same activity as predecessor. This time it will add this activity as a predecessor as FF relationship type. And if you do it again, it will add it as SS predecessor.

Same happens with removing. If you type activity ID and hit the x (remove) button, it removes the FS predecessor activity. Hit the remove button again and it will remove FF predecessor activity.

So, the next steps would be:

3. Tipe the ID of the activity in search bar, that you want it to be your SS predecesor;

4. Hit the + (asign) button 3 times (or 2 times if you have already this activity as FS predecessor);

5. Hit the x (remove) button twice.

6. VOILA!

Enjoy! Loves from Serbia!

Raymond Au-Yeung
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Ron,

I do not think there is a method with just a few buttons then you could achieve the change of relationship type globally. But by and large P6 can facilitate a easier change of data entries in spreadsheet environment (MS Excel) using Export ---> Change ----> Import. You may try to export the project data by choosing what information you need to change (herein Activitiy Relationships), and in Activivity Relationships you include relationship type in the export. Edit whatever you like in the exported spreadsheet and then import back to P6. That's it.

Nevertheless, this serves to be a convenient way to change the relationships easily. I do also think you should be very careful by changing FS to just SS in your plan. Why? because by doing so, you would sometimes get anomalies like predecessors finish later than successors. A more proper way is to consider also a FF relationship between activities.

Regards and happy exporting / importing,
Raymond Au-Yeung

Rafael Davila

Deleted by Rafael Davila as to avoid annoying requests to revive this old discussion.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Ron

Just for the record PowerProject has a function for selecting all links and making global changes.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike Testro

Hi Ron

I cannot think of any circumstance in a construction sequence where two tasks have to start simultaneously - that is why a SS link is intrinsically invalid.

If you are going to add lead lags on the SS link then you are creating a quasi FS link - but using guesswork as to the lag and losing criticality.

I say again there is no justification for using SS Links - please have a look at my earlier thread "Ban these planning abominations" to see the full debate.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

Deleted by Rafael Davila as to avoid annoying requests to revive this old discussion.

Ron Beechey

Rafael

P6 doesnt have the column for  Relationship Type.   Thats the problem.   If it did I could fill down.  

Ron Beechey

Mike\

In this case the SS is not an invalid link.  This project has a number of tasks that would be completed during the master task which would take longer to complete, so in this case it is correct to link and schedule as a SS

Mike Testro

Hi Ron

Why do want to change a valid FS link to an invalid SS link.

You will destroy all criticality on your programme.

Please reconsider this unwarranted action.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila