Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Exporting MPP files out of Primavera 5.0

6 replies [Last post]
Dwayne Arnold
User offline. Last seen 17 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HELP!!! I am experiencing extremely long time periods when trying to export a MPP file out of a Primavera 5.0 database. My schedule is only 100 activities long and it takes approximately 60 minutes to export the file. This does not seam right to me when I could export the same file out of a 4.0 database in only 7 minutes. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 14 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Have you tried Primavera’s Compression Server as an alternative to Citrix? It’s free of charge and already on your Documentation CD. There is also an Admin Guide and White Paper on that CD (under tech docs), and as a tech note on the Knowledgebase. The White Paper includes benchmarks for lines of different latencies. Although based on what will be regarded as very high-speed lines in some countries; 1.5meg.
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Niek

I unfortunately have to work remotely so all data is tranferred over a network. I am sure this is why it is so slow. We have tried Citrix and it is impossible to use as it gets slower during the day. Locally, i.e. on the "C" drive it is probably fine but when you are on a remote site, it is a nightmare.

Oh the pleasures of remote working!

Cheers

Nige
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Nige,

Have you ever tried this with a SQL DB residing on your local disk? This is very IO intensive so a slow network can kill the entire performance.

H.T.H.
Nigel Winkley
Niek

Don’t change anything! All of our computers - and other planners I know - take about an hour as well. Even talking to Primavera, they said it can take a while.

Nige
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
That’s really strange because I’m using this feature for years now. An average export takes less than 30 seconds. Big schedules (>2500 lines) take a couple of minutes max.

H.T.H.
Nigel Winkley
Yup - it’s normal. From P3e v5.2 it takes me about an hour as well. Why? Who knows...

Cheers

Nige