Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Installing P3 in 64 bit OS

17 replies [Last post]
Gokulakrishnan Ga...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
my new lap top is with windows 7 64 bit Operating system. i cant able to install P3.1. Can any one suggest me how to install P3 in my new lap top!!!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 7 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

as I states previously p3 will not run on a 64 bit operating system.

You must first install virtual xp fof windows then install p3 there

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Jim McCombs
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Install Windows 7 32 bit.  There is no significant advantage to Windows 64 bit over the 32 bit version.  I have been using P3 in Windows 7 ever since the OS was released with no problems.  Install P3 first, then install P6.  P6 should recognize P3, but it doesn't always.  No one can tell me why.  However, Oracle has posted a fix that is actually fairly simple in their user database.

Years ago I had heard that P3 would work in a virtual 32 bit environment, but it doesn't, at least now well.  It is just simply best to work in the 32 bit OS.

Good luck.

Jim McCombs

I didn't read the other replies so your question may have already been answered.

P3 will not install or run in a 64bit windows environment.  However, it runs very well in Windows 7 32 bit.

I reciently set up a new computer with windows 7 32bit and then installed P3 and Suretrak, then later installed P6.  P6 failed to recognize P3.  I got Oracle tech support help and apparently this is a fix for this.  And fortunately it is fairly simple.  There is a tech bulletin on it with instructions on how to fix.

I hope this help.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 7 hours ago. Offline
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 22 hours 43 min ago. Offline

Alexandre,

The virtual machine will need virus protection separate from the desktop. Usually these require activation and will consume another license. Previously I called Norton and got an extra license for use on the same PC but now I use free antivirus on my virtual machine and keep Norton on the desktop.

I use AVG antivirus on the virtual machine, the free version is said to be as good as the pay version.

Anyone having issues with the P6 installation can install it on the virtual machine until the issue is cleared.

Good luck,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

Alexandre,

What about also installing P6 on your virtual PC? I suggest keeping the two P6 installations on the same machine as to avoid license issues.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Jim McCombs

P3 works fine in Windows 7 32 bit.  I understand that if you are running 7 64 bit, you will need a virtual machine to run P3.  I am not sure what the best solution is for that, perhaps Virtual Box (oracle) and it is free.  If someone has found a good working solution for running P3 in a 64 bit os, please post and share your success.

Rafael Davila

Bill, not all Windows 7 versions are created equal, some are 32 bit others are 64 bit operating system and even between them there are home and professional versions. Some versions do have issues with P3.

Note: P3 3.1 has not been tested and is not supported on Windows 7 (64 bit) 

Regards,

Rafael

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Have p3 loaded with ms7 and it works fine, not any problems,loaded direct from primavera disk

billturk1

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Have p3 loaded with ms7 and it works fine, not any problems,loaded direct from primavera disk

billturk1

Rafael Davila

Try extracting the ISO to a folder in the virtual machine and then click setup within this folder. I am installing in this way all my Old XP Software on a Microsoft Virtual Machine.

Still I believe it should work unless the directories name of the ISO CD are too much to be handled by the old operating system you are using. I understand some of these old systems get lost with the longer file and folder names used by newer operating system, not an expert but this occurs to me, just give it a try. Also many folders within other folders might be an issue, .... ??? maybe.

If you do not have all the prerequisites of Microsoft Virtual Machine you will be in need to use VMware, a software I would not be surprised if more powerful than Microsoft Virtual Machine.

You can burn an ISO file to install another software and if it works then I would suspect the issue is with the ISO file you got for P3.

Forest Peterson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

I just tried installing P3 in a VMware virtual mchine running server 2003 x32, it does not install from an iso virtual CD. The install interface starts but clicking the button for instal P3 produces adible clicks and nothing more. The setup.exe file is encypted so I ma not sure what the buttion is trying to call.

I will put my oprtical drive back in and burn a CD to try a second time.

Forest Peterson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

I just tried installing P3 in a VMware virtual mchine running server 2003 x32, it does not install from an iso virtual CD. The install interface starts but clicking the button for instal P3 produces adible clicks and nothing more. The setup.exe file is encypted so I ma not sure what the buttion is trying to call.

I will put my oprtical drive back in and burn a CD to try a second time.

Rafael Davila
You can setup virtualization, windows provide for free a virtual machine software where you can install within the virtual machine Windows XP and run all your XP software from within the virtual machine. Look at Microsoft site, I installed it before on windows 7, 32 bit but believe shall work on windows 7 64 bit. Perhaps windows 7 professional version will be required plus a fast machine with lot of RAM.

For every virtual machine you will need an antivirus licence. There are a few for free,consider AGV antivirus, free version is as good as full version.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Gokulakrishnan

I don’t think P3 works in Windows 7 and there will be no more updates.

Unless some P3 expert proves me wrong you may have to downgrade your OS to XP to make it work.

Best regards

Mike Testro.