Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The different between actual manhour and earned manhour

7 replies [Last post]
bo xiang
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All:
Could you explanin the different between actual manhour and earned manhour.For my opinion,I think they are the same value.
Give me your comments please.

Replies

Mahesh Muraleedharan
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Hi just wondering if we cant find out the current % progress or some alternative scale is used how do we find out the earned manhour

Tarek Barham
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

According to the common planning Practice, Earned Manhours = Actual Progress % " Monthly or Weekly " X Planned Manhours for the same scale and same period. 

It is an indication, how much you must spend from your budgeted Mhrs at that achived Actual progress.

bo xiang
Olike:
Now it’s clear to me for these two velues, thanks again.I will consult to you if there is any question, please kindly assist me .
Xiangbo
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Bo,

In simple terms;

The earned manhour is the project original estimate. The actual manhour is the final cost of the project. Again, refer to the "tea cup" example: if the two men expend 350 to wash the tea cup and report 100%, then, the total project cost is 350 hours, while the original estimate for the project is 100 hours. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Ifeanyi
bo xiang
Olike:
Thanks for your excellent example, which make the difference very clearly.Also Could I consider that the actual manhour is to the project duration while the earned manhour is to Project cost,is this right?
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Olike

Good and simple way to differentiate between actual estimated man-hours
Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bo,

Consider this scenario:

You have estimated that washing a tea cup will take 10 hours. You have two men to wash the tea cup. They finish their shift and report 10% progress after booking 2 hours for the job.

2 hours is the actual hours, 1 hour (10% of 10 hours) is the earned manhour. I hope this helps.

Ifeanyi