Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Fix This Primavera P6 Professional Erroe: Unable to connect to the database

7 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

If you get this error in Primavera P6 Professional: Unable to connect to the database

Here are the most common ways to address it http://ow.ly/t1Ccl

Replies

Ezra Nyakundi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi. I write an article regarding Primavera P6 Professional : “Unable to connect to the database” error. If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.com/2017/07/01/primavera-p6-professional-unable-to-c...
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Joseph,

You may be suffering from a permissions issue.  You need elevated permissions to start and stop the Oracle database which are (usually) granted through the ORA_DBA group.  This isn't a problem if you have Administrator righst, but it will be a problem when you don't.

Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Dennis,

It has been a while since I used MSSQL Database, but the services should be set to start automatically.  If the MSSQLEXPRESS service is set to manual, you should change it to automatic.

If it is already automatic, then there should be an event listed which hints at why it failed.  

From what could be a long (lost?) memory, it may depend on another service starting before it which hasn't started yet so the automatic start fails.  The other service then starts after it. That would explain why MSSQLEXPRESS starts when you try manually, as the other service has now started.  I believe there is a way of setting dependencies on Services so they start in the right order.

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Problem is not limited to Oracle database. For whatever reason, I now have to start my SQL 2012 server most everytime. Not a problem, once you know what's going on, but it would be better if I didn't have to take this step. Same symptoms as with Oracle, just a different methodology. Go to Task Manager, Services, MSSQLEXPRESS, and start the service.

sql.jpg

Joseph Diwa
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rafael,

I encountered the same issue yesterday but unfortunately the possible solutions didn't work for me.

As suggested, I tried to reboot my laptop hoping that it would resolve the "cannot connect to the database" issue.

I have also tried clicking All Progress>Oracle Database 10G Express Edition>Start Database but I always got the same  "System Error 5. Access is Denied." message.

Worse is, during my 3rd attempt to login, I clicked Yes when asked if I want to configure my database connection. I did this step before I found out that I should not click the Yes button as it will whack my settings.

Is there any other solution you can think of? Please help.

Regards,

Joseph

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 45 min ago. Offline
  • When using a standalone copy of Primavera P6 Professional, the typical installation options loaded a copy of Oracle’s free Oracle Express (XE) database on your system. Periodically you may go to login to Primavera P6 and get this message. This happens because the Oracle XE database service has failed and thus P6 cannot connect to it. The cause of XE failures is varied, but the PC coming out of hibernation is one common item that we encountered.

No wonder the thousands of requests at PP to solve the issue, it seems like Oracle database design is poor compared to any other on the market. I used many different software, and even used before old Btrieve database engine within P3 and SureTrak and never had such issues.

Finally at least we know one of the possible sources of the madness! One of the reasons is inherent in Oracle Database service itself.

I feel very sorry for P6 users that no matter what it seems it will forever be a recurrent issue. If they solve it 1,000 times eventually they will have to solve it another time, and thereafter again and again.