Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Asta Version 15.0.01 - Did the "Save As" an XER get removed ?

3 replies [Last post]
Mike Milewski
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Up until late May ’20 I could utilize a “Save As” function to retain a copy of an Asta Project as an XER File (for translation to P6)

I am now on Version 15.0.01 – The "Save/Save As" drop down does not offer the ability to Save As and XER (only variations of .pp  for Powerproject and EasyPlan files)

Additionally, When I try to utilize the Import / Export to P6 function, the File > Browse window will only look for a “saved” XER.

Is there something that my IT dept needs to configure for my specific Asta set-up ? I am on a network license. I sent in a "help" ticket, but thought I would ask here as well.

thx in advance - Mike

Replies

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

I think you might be over-complicting the steps here.  The Browse button on the export wizard is to allow you to chose the folder that you want your new XER to save into.  All you need to put into the File Name box is the name you want to give to your new XER file.

So if I wanted to export my PP file to an XER called "test" and to have that XER saved to my desktop, I'd hit the "Browse" button, navigate to the desktop, when put "test" into File Name box.  When the export is complete, I'll have test.xer saved to my desktop.

You do not need to input any existing file paths.  The XER is created from the PP file that you already have open in the software.

Direct contact details for our support team depend on what country you are in, but you can always fire in a question to support@elecosoft.com and they will direct your enquiry to the right people.

Glad you are otherwise enjoying the software!  :-)

Ben

Mike Milewski
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Ben - thx very much for the reply. I was familiar with that Help Sheet from the 15.0.1 Upgrade notes. I was following that stepped sequence exactly and still had a hard time trying to get the XER Exported.

Here is what i did Step by Step

* Had project open in Asta

* went to the Import/Export P6 (XML or XER) wizard.

* Selected XER

* Tapped the "browse" button

(here is where I ran into difficulty)

I was using that Browse window, to search my local folders for the file I wanted to export. Everything was "empty"

at the botton of that same window, there is a FILE NAME: window and a SAVE AS TYPE: drop down

The only File type that was illustrated was XER

Not being that software tech savvy (I am an ex-PM that is a builder, working as a scheduler) - I did not know how to fill in the FILE NAME: window.

My corporate IT help dept had coached me earlier that I needed to have the File Path/string of the .pp file that I was attempting to set up the Export to P6.

The only place I knew how to get a File/Path string was using Baseline Manager. Since I always create a baseline of the most recent schedule, I went to BaseLine Manager and used the PATH NAME Window of Baseline Manager to copy the file string/path of the PowerProject File I wanted to convert to an XER

I then went back to the Export Wizard (and inserted that file string/path) in the botton of the Wizard and did a "SAVE" - which them allowed me to save my respective .pp file as an .xer file.

Hope this makes sense... To me, I feel I did a "work around" as the PP Help Sheet we discussed above implied that the needed steps were way shorter than what I had to go through.

I would really appreciate being able to contact Power Project Support to show them these screens and the sequence I am having to accomplish. (I am on a corp license through my emploer, so i do not have a direct support log-in)

To me, the Help Sheet is overly simplified compared to what I did and I feel i was just 'guessing' at how to create the XER..  Still, as a 20 yr plus Primavera user (and only 4 mos on Asta) _ I really like the Asta platform.

. Hope to hear back on what i described above - thx again - Mike

export_pic_02.jpg

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

In v15.0.01, we effectively rewrote the export/save to XER functionality of Powerproject.  We've moved the option from the File > Save As, to a specific "Export/Import" wizard.

You should be able to follow the steps within the new export wizard to create your desired XER.

Helpfile article:

https://help.elecosoft.com/powerproject/english/15.0.01/Content/HTML_Topics/Conceptual/Starting_work/Primavera/Primavera_exporting.htm

Thanks,

Ben @ Powerproject