Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

History of PM

5 replies [Last post]
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

a-brief-history-of-project-management_50dcf479609e4.png

Replies

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 28 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good graphic but a couple of errors:

Mainframe systems were commercially available from around 1961 / 1962 on a range of computers including IBM and ICT. There were literally dozens in use by 1968.

Barcharts were in regular use from around the 1870s some 100 years befort Gantt.

See: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P042_History%20of%20Scheduing.pdf

Henry Gantt was a management consultant - he had virtually nothing to do with project management see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/PDF_Papers/P158_Henry_L_Gantt.pdf 

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Where does one click "Like" on a PP post?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Shah. HB

innovation-light-bulb-idea-730x430.jpg

Cheers ---> Stephen Devaux 

Regards

Shahul Badhusha

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Very nice, Shahul. I have bookmarked it.

I would add a few things:

1967 -- The first mainframe-based project management software package, PROJECT, is developed at MIT.

1968 -- The first commercially-available project management software package, PROJECT/2, is marketed by Project Software & Development, Inc. of Cambridge, MA.

1981 -- The first commercially-available microprocessor-based software package, Microplanner, is marketed for an Apple computer.

1997 -- The critical chain project management methodology (CCPM) is introduced in Eliyahu Goldratt's business novel Critical Chain, applying to project management the author's Theory of Constraints (TOC) approach as outlined in his 1984 manufacturing book The Goal. (Note: I'm not a huge fan of CCPM, which I think is primarily about ignorance of traditional PM techniques such as resource leveling which can obviate the need for his "buffers" -- but I think it deserves to be included at least as much as Agile!)

1999 -- New techniques and metrics for managing projects on the basis of ROI and their expected monetary value (EMV) are defined in the book Total Project Control. They include the value breakdown structure (VBS), critical path drag, and drag cost.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Shah. HB