Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Material is spent on …

7 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 9 min ago. Offline

Material is spent on …

Please look at the following scenario, total remaining supply is greater than total remaining consumption but it is impossible.  Dialog says material is spent on 04-02-21 but I believe it is a bit latter due to consumption on activity 2, this confuse me. For complex schedules the dialog box does not helps, unless I am missing something.

Any suggestion on how to identify the source of the problem will be welcomed.

Image-007

Best Regards, Rafael Davila

Replies

Rafael Davila

But what is the date that matters?

Image-017

Materials Gantt helps keep focused.

Image-016 click on thumbnail for a better view

Image-018

In my example total supply was increased but there is an excess of 2000 units that should be solved. In this case figuring out the date is easy but what about more complex scenarios?

• Is it good idea to display a date?

Yes,

"Material A availability is not sufficient for scheduling of remaining activities" is the right wording.

Thank you!

Rafael Davila

It is not that by 04-02-21 all Material B is spent, by this date no Material B is spent and all of the supply by Activity 1 (-500) is still available.

• Perhaps it should read - On 04-02-21 Material A availability is not sufficient for scheduling of remaining activities.

I guess the solution to this issue is on the scheduler not on the software; can be solved by increasing supply before this date, can be solved by decreasing consumption after, or by a combination.

Image-009

Spider Project reports that on certain date it cannot start the next activity because available materials are not sufficient for its execution untill the end.

If consumption preceeds the supply then consumption activity cannot start and Spider Project reports that on certain date material availability is not sufficient for scheduling of remaining activities.

Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline

Rafael, Daniel

I recreated the example. It is a bit confusing I admit, but in the Reason of delay for activity 2 Spider fills in „Material "Material A" (Code: A); 0 days”.

So you could filter for this.

It would be great if in the schedule report you would get similar to resources...Activity 2 (Code:2) is delayed due to Material A (Code:A) which is spent on xx.yy.zzzz hh:mm

Maybe in the Material Gantt a vertical red line could be drawn in order to highlight material supply constraints (this is implemented in the Resource Gantt).

Best Regards,
Bogdan

daniel morais
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

I agree with Rafael, this is confuse me too. I try two variations this schedule, first makes activity 3 SS(start-start) with activity 2, but the dialog says same thing:

first_option.png

Second Option, how activity 3 depends on from activity 2, I changed for activity 2 be supplier and activity 3 be consumer, and the dialog anymore shows. Maybe algorithym consider that the supplier must comming first than consumer? like figure bellow!

income_x_expenditure.png

second_option.png

Best Regards,

Daniel Crisóstomo

daniel morais
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

I agree with Rafael, this is confuse me too. I try two variations this schedule, first makes activity 3 SS(start-start) with activity 2, but the dialog says same thing:

Second Option, how activity 3 depends on from activity 2, I changed for activity 2 be supplier and activity 3 be consumer, and the dialog anymore shows. Maybe algorithym consider that the supplier must comming first than consumer? like figure bellow!

Best Regards,

Daniel Crisóstomo