Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to see the content of the diagram

3 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I have a question regarding diagram.

I can see, that if I get a project file with diagram, I am unable to reverse engineer all parameters to see what the diagram is all about.

Specifically it is not possible to see, what Actions have been selected to produce diagram.

In the below example Diag1 is only about Activity1 and Diag2 is related to the whole Phase, however if I look at properties and content of the Diagram this information is not to find.

See below picture and a link to download file

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1FBt_G3gCVqcjdXZ0wyMXpXbUE/edit

photo diag_zps42fa999b.png

Am I missing something?

Regards.

Evgeny 

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 17 min ago. Offline

Evgeny,

Is there anything else except activities, which is not re-constructable in diagrams?

• No that I noticed. After you save the report as a Template it is easier to see what it includes with the exception of activities/phase in a tabular way from the Main Window by selecting Templates and then icon for Report Templates. It is there that the non-visible fields shall be displayed as well as maybe in under the Gantt leftmost column  in addition to the Name field we know is editable and can be changed to anything without affecting the activity selection.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Rafael,

thanks, understood. Even though it is not clear why Activities are not available to see. Spider must know them somewhere inside, otherwise it would not be able to recalculate the diagram.

Is there anything else except activities, which is not re-constructable in diagrams?

Regards.

Evgeny

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 17 min ago. Offline

Evgeny,

Go to the diagram of interest, place the cursor over it, right click on Contents and save the Diagram Report as a Template. Then go to Report/General Reports and Diagrams/Table Report by Template to create a Table Report from this Template and there you shall be able to see the activities used, can be hundreds. Try sorting the report by the column where activity name appears it might segregate the activities rows from the rest as to make it easier for you to find out about the activities used.

It will not be a complete re-construction as you might have selected some activities that were not resource loaded with the selected resources when generating the report.  The report hides unassigned activities. I believe the original selection is still active as if you add Resource A to Activity B the Diagram will be correct.  

Spider have functionality for more than a single WBS Structure [Dictionary] therefore it is not only about selected activities or phases but when using phase selection knowing from which structure is also relevant. I suspect the software keep this information but do not discloses it.

Some time ago I asked for some functionality that would disclose the full initial selection and as far as I recall I was told if you delete a WBS Structure this would create some issues. If you delete a WBS Structure reports generated using ths deleted structure are also deleted but not the templates, also deleting the templates is what is missing to make it work as expected. Vladimir can provide us with some light on this regard.

If there is a way to reconstruct or see full actual selection, this I do not know.

Best Regards,

Rafael