Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Software

20 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear PPers,

We have had several email asking if we can setup some new forum areas to discuss other types of software. Can people please reply to this and advise if they think some new categories would be useful. What software should we add to the forum.

We currently have Primavera, PowerProject, OpenPlan and MS Project. Which ones are needed ???

Hope this helps (HTH)

Regards... PP Admin Team.

Replies

Mike,

thank you for the compliment but Spider was written by a group of programmers and first launched to the market 20 years ago. Since then its development never stopped. To develop  perfect software means a lot of man-years. But you are right that I initiated and led this development because no other software fits to my requirements.

Jorge,

the best software is the one that fits to your requirements. Since these requirements may be different for different people and companies the software that is the best for one group may be considered as poor by another.

If you are interested in resource management then Spider Project has widest options and largest capabilities.

I like Artemis products but they cannot compete with Spider Project in functionality.

I don't believe that flat workload is always achievable but in Spider Project you can define the range of activity resource requirements (for example from 3 to 5 units) and software will assign resources basing on their availability accelerating works when 5 resource units are used and slowing if only 3 units are available.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi, Jorge and Mike.

First, Jorge, it's nice to see someone here with Artemis 9000 experience!  I used to work with PSDI's Project/2, which was Artemis 9000's main rival (and the only two packages that were permitted on DoD C/SCSC-required applications).

Each package is different, and suits different uses.  Yes, MS Project is quite limited, especially in its treatment of resources (not to mention things like limiting PDM relationship links between activities to one!).  But even MSP has its advantages: it is easy for most people to use, and it has a multitude of available add-ons, so that the user is not limited to the specific functionality that the distributor chooses to provide.

Since all projects/programs are investments in work, and since return-on-investment is the guiding metric of all investments, every PM s/w package should allow input of ROI, and then permit manipulation of it and reports based on it (such as the DIPP, which is [expected monetary value + or - acceleration premium or delay cost] divided by Cost ETC).  Spider permits ROI input, and I believe Primavera started doing so a few years ago.  Do any other packages permit this?  If not, it's a huge shortcoming.

The most glaring omission of almost all software packages (excluding only Spider and the Sumatra add-on to MSP) is the failure to compute something as fundamental as Critical Path Drag. Qwiknet Professional didn't compute free float, and that was pretty bad -- but failure to compute THE fundamental critical path metric is a hundred times worse.  It's like having spreadsheet software that can't do subtraction, or graphics software that can't draw a circle.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Jorge

The topic of "what is the best software" has been worried to the bones on this and other forums. (or is that Fora?)

Every view is partisan to the exponent of each software user.

You will find that I think that Asta PowerProject can do nothing wrong and everything right.

I like your open minded approach to find the best tool for a specific application - particularly your Marshmallow resource modelling application.

When you find your perfect piece of kit please let us know.

Or perhaps like Vladimir you can write it yourself.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Jorge Payne
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

It would be nice to have honest candid comparisons between the varous PM software, and include evaluations and recommendations for what this site would consider the "ideal" PM software.

I for one find MSP to be a flashy toy that promotes very bad habits.  Put MSP on someones desktop and they think can schedule. 

The holy grail for my company is a perfectly flat workload with no fluctuations in manning requirements. Obviously, the complexities of projects require different resource loads over different phases, but that is the goal. The best software is that which comes closest while still observing network logic and constraints.  If only activities could be made of NERF or marshmallows that shape themselves into the available space in time and available resources to produce this perfectly flat workload.  I would love it if PM sofware could visualize that metaphor onscreen while producing a viable schedule that matches resource availablility. 

What is the state of the art in PM software.  I grew up with Artemis 5000, then 9000.  I am familiar with  todays P6 and Open Plan, and  but what is the paradigm for PM of the future?  Can we discuss that or is there already a thread on this topic?

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline
@ Vladimir Liberzon

Yes its true
Hi Shahul,
I think that you are right about Asta and Spider Project is widely used in Russian speaking countries. But American surveys cover only the market of the USA. They just don’t know what happens outside the USA.

Besides I did not see serious PM software reviews for many years. As one of the authors wrote to me recently these reviews shall be polite to those who makes advertisements.

So wise people shall not rely on the promotional surveys.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline
Hi to all

@ Clive
I have seen a survey Asta Power project widely used in UK and its appearance looks similar to Primavera
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
Not sure that P3 MSP dominate the market in the UK
Clive
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Vladimir,

I had been in contact with u months ago (before u came to Brazil).

And now i am in contact with Peter Berndt. I would appreciate to learn SP and help to spread the usage of Spider Project here in Brazil.

I still think that we can have a specific topic for SP here on PP.

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Vladimir,

Will download and try

Philip
Hi Philip!
Spider Project Demo can be downloaded from http://www.spiderproject.ru/spider_e.php

New versions appear each month, so check frequently.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Philip Jonker
Hi Vlad,

When do we get the latest demo version in english? Would be very interesting.

Regards

Philip
Thank you for your interest to Spider Project.
I know several Spider Project users that are members of PP and may participate in discussions. But you shall understand that at the moment most of Spider Project users speak Russian. The ratio is like 100:1. And Spider Project forum in Russian is very active and interesting.
I think that at Spider Project forum we may discuss features, functions and approaches that are not supported by other PM softwares. There are a lot of them. And these discussions may be of interest for professional project planners.

Marcio,
Brazilian Portuguese version of Spider Project is under development and may appear at the end of this year.
Marcio Sampaio
I also would apreciate to learn more about Spider Project ... reading its site it seems to me to be a very good and different project management software.

So ... let Spider Project show us what it can do ... it is up to Spider Project users here on PP (is there anyone?).

Regards.
Philip Jonker
Hi,

Agreed, especially as they both have problems. There is nothing like good competition.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

I like to learn Spider

I read the page and it seems spider approach in planning is unique. maybe we should go for it.

The world of planning (Planning planet) is boring with only primavera and MSP dominating the market

Cheers

Charlie
Philip Jonker
Hi Marcio,

Expedition already has it’s show, Spider needs some time.
A suggestion, all this typing is getting to me, Skype is another platform out there. This is an interesting way of training junior planners, lets have some video conferences, and make the juniors take the minutes. As a planeer, you must be able to take minutes as the rest of the project staff cannot wield a pen so it is left to planners.

Regards

Philip
Marcio Sampaio
PP Admin,

Thanks for ask about our oppinion.

My suggestions are:

Primavera Expedition and Spider Project.

Thanks.
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

It could be interesting to have a forum, discussing Tilos, time vs chainage software or line of balance. The alternative is to have a generic software forum for this type of software. Primavera, also has an add-on called EDGE, it would be interesting to hear from users. A further advancement is Primavera Enterprise Project Manager V5, as the discussions on the one is becoming mixed up with P3e and P3ec, it would be nice to have a stand alone forum for it. Further there is programs, like spider, which regularly crops up in discussions, let’s have a forum, so we can find out how nany parties are using it, and their point of view. Another widely used program is CCS, which has made some serious advances in the last few years, mainly in the building and civil engineering disciplines, and needs some consideration. There is obviously also all the new software trying to penetrate the market, and it would be interesting hearing from them. The other aspect is add-ons, like Tilos, Edge, costing programs, presentation programs, etc. We start a forum, where we could be made aware of these.
The point is most of the members are trapped in some program and do not realize there is a variety of products out ther which can help to make life simpler and allow more time to tackle the real problems. Each problem has a unique solution, and it will help planners, if they knew where to find these solutions.

Regards,

Philip