Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Risks from P6 8.1 Pro

4 replies [Last post]
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline

Is it possible to export the Risks developed in P6 8.1 Pro to PRA 8.7.2?  The idea would be to populate a Risk Register in PRA with data developed in P6.  Not finding any discussions/suggestions at Oracle (started a Service Request) or AACEi - will post this in the Risk Forum just in case.  I hope this is not one so obvious that I am going to feel like a fool.  Any thoughts welcome.  Thanks.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 57 min ago. Offline

Dennis,

Thanks for the response.

I believe it is the manager in charge of the means and methods who shall decide what software to use, if you want P6 and PRA, let it be, but do not force others to manage their own jobs using software they do not know. Some consider P6 a bad product, full of bugs and incapable of modeling some basics such as shifts on a single activity, and the list is very long. Yes, definitively at the corporate level some standardization is a must. But whose standard? Why not mine?

Seems like people easily forget who is in control of the means and methods, if you want to keep them then become the contractor. What many government agencies are doing, brand name specification, is against the procurement regulations that have the validity of written law. They know it, but still do it. If government is to force you to use specific software it should be free software in any case but not to favor a specific supplier, this is corruption.

I will follow your postings to see what I can learn without having PRA. Maybe I will ask for some PRA functionality be included in my software which have risk analysis functionality embedded, but different implementation. Competition is good, do not kill it, PRA can give me a few bullets to shoot at the developer of the software I use [Spider Project].

Regards,

Rafael

Dennis Hanks

Rafael;

I have no experience running PRA on more than one project at a time - though one project was really five projects combined.  It was about 3700 activities, but so poorly crafted as to be useless.  So I have no idea what its capabilities are for portfolio management.  Sorry.

As to governments and clients specifying Primavera, this has been true in my world (oil & gas) since the early '90s.  For me standardization is worth the cost.  I have a running fued with MSP users - usually project managers that have no idea what they are doing.  I can only guess as to the cost of moving data across various platforms/programs when using statisical analysis.

PRA is expensive, probably more than is necessary, but it can be a useful tool to have access to.  Not sure that everyone needs to own it, only have it available.  Available at each stage gate and update/revision.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 57 min ago. Offline

Seems reasonable judging from the prohibitive costs of PRA. I understood you can generate the risk data but cannot run it unless exported to PRA. Reminds me of how SureTrak and P3 would share files, some fields not visible in SureTrak but not missing.

I believe USA Federal and State governments are creating an artificial demand for Primavera products by brand name specifying their products at the cost of killing free market competition. If cost of statistical modeling can be reduced through free market competition all of us would benefit, more companies would be using statistical models and our practice would be better.

Can you run PRA on a Portfolio of hundreds of jobs sharing relationships and resources?

Dennis Hanks

Oracle was ahead of me here.  You can develop a credible Risk Register in P6 8.1 and then export it via the Tools, PRA function.  So it is possible for your client to do a lot of the tedious work before the Risk Workshop.  At least, to get a start.