Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

You Don’t Know What You Are Doing

43 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi All PP Members.

I challenge you to tell me what you have been doing last week.

I proclaim now that none of you know the correct answer. And thereby none of you know what you are doing.

So sure am I of my proclamaition that whoever can give the FIRST correct answer within 5 days of this post then I will donate $50.00 to your favourite (and established) charity of your choice.

The correct answer will be posted immediately on the Moderators private thread who will judge if anyone has won.

Come on Take my $50 bucks.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Mike Testro
Hi Everyone.

Time to reveal the answer.

You have all been Making Money - that is the only reason you are employed.

The usual method of making money in any normal business is the buy something and then sell it for more than you bought it.

In our wacky industry we sell the project and then try to buy it for less than we sold it - and that is the root cause of all the problems that beset us day by day.

Sorry nobody got the answer but if anyone had I would have revealed that the $50.0 was Hong Kong -not US.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 hours ago. Offline
WASTING TIME (reading through this thread )

:)
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Decision Making
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

You have skirted round the answer but not zoned in.

The answer consists of just two words.

One day left.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Using critical thinking and in order to zoom in on the correct answer we need to use the following clues here below that Mike was positive about:

1. WORKING & EARNING MONEY?
Mike’s answer: You are the closest yet - but not quite.

2. Planning?
Mike’s answer: Remember that everyone in your group is doing the same thing. What are you all doing together?

3. on the description of work
Mike’s answer: its global - its what you and everybody else is doing in the construction industry every day.

4. Mike’s answer: Really doing and it would be the same answer from everybody.

The answer might be along the lines of improving the construction industy, or sustaining the economy.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 22 hours 2 min ago. Offline
Mike,

The bribe is still open for your consideration, tomorrow is ladies night, rates are down.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

We are sharing our limited understanding of theory and practical knowledge for constructing our projects together. Each project is the collective efforts of many.

With kind regards,

Samer
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Trying to get a civil sub contractor on track with the schedule.

Busy with effective communication at site.

Busy with the interface between two management with different cultures which mean different point of view.

Rubas M. Kutty
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None
Any one of these? :)
Making Choices!
Taking Risks
Talking to Self
Ignoring
Valuation/Revaluation
PINAN T.
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
WE ALL MOVE?
PINAN T.
BREATHING OR SPENDING?

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

How did you know that? When I don’t even know what I’m doing.

cheers!
Roger Booth
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Mike

I think the gist of the mention was that whoever would listen to both sides of Sparky wanted their bumps feeling. It was a very long day yesterday so was only half listening until I heard your name. Sad though it may be, I am going to go on I player and listen to it again. How bad is that?
Best wishes
Mike Testro
Hi All

One more day to go and then all will be revealed.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Roger

Did paul promise to play Sparky?

I requested it as an antidote to the Stargazers.

As I said I missed the broadcast.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Roger Booth
I forgot to mention the Sparky bit. Don’t tell me that you have requested "I see the moon" as well.
Mike Testro
Hi Roger

Yes it was me but I missed the mention.

I assume it was me asking Paul to play Sparky.

I think Mr O’grady would be a much finer replacement for the Togmeister than the Ginger Midget.

Now all other PP members outside the UK and / or over 45 are wondering what we are going on about.

Best regards

Mike testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

Actually they are all good answers.

But actually we are really doing is trying to figure out what you have on your mind.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Pinan

You are the closest yet - but not quite.

Half time already.

Best regards

Mike Testro
PINAN T.
WORKING & EARNING MONEY?
Roger Booth
Not really answering the question, but I was listening to Radio 2 yesterday and are you the same Mike Testro who was mentioned on Paul O’Gradys programme. If so, I assume you would like our Tel as well

Regards
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

Remember that everyone in your group is doing the same thing.

What are you all doing together?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Planning?
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Everyone finds himself in the world where he belongs. The essential thing is to have a fixed point from which to check its reality now and then.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

We are also spending 24 hours a day:

30% sleeping
40% working
30% others

I agree that most of the time we are immersed with things that we do not know what we are doing. But that is part of living. You have to solve the small problems that we encounter. It depends on nature and nurture. You might be born with high IQ and you are aware of what is happening. Or you might be born with a low IQ and do not realize that you are on earth. Likewise, you might have a high IQ in a poor undeveloped country where the chances diminish for your growth, or you might have a high IQ at the best scientific center where you will excell.

Knowing what you are doing depends on the critical thinking that you gave yourself about the essence of your existance on earth. I believe it is a cycle of thinking, doing and rechecking. If the results of your doing does not provide you with what you want, then you need to check your route again and recalibrate the compass.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

You are tantalisingly close - but still no coconut.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Rafael Davila
Mike

Google Caltech cannon, you will find they are a bunch of would be pranksters. They would not make it into PP. The canon was meant to go to the top of the Dome, they didn’t make it.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

Globally, we are assisting mankind in satisfying their needs by providing buildings to live and work, Roads and Bridges to use and travel, Factories, Airports, Hospitals, Refineries for providing services needed.

We are managing contracts, schedules, verifying claims and providing clients with expert opinion regarding uncertain scenarios. Developing simple and complex management systems per project for the smooth operation and monitoring of the project during its birth-death cycle.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

If you google Masochists Institute of Technology you do get a result - that is why I queried your thread.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

Its not in the detail - its global - its what you and everybody else is doing in the construction industry every day.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike

Masochist: gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one’s own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.

Formally it is known as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. I was close with regard to meaning and spelling. Didn’t I?

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

I am really spending 12 hours a day working on Constuction projects solving all the problems that can not be solved by each staff at site and I am really spending at least five hours of detailed research into everything that can be seen and done in the places that I am planning to visit.

I finished the plan, now i am doing the scheduling. I have to create the list of activities, durations, resources, dependencies, constraints, contingencies, and close out.

I am also monitoring PP and answering and debating questions. Reading several books at the same time, on the phone between 3-4 hours daily, perparing research letters and helping several engineers working through their courses. So the Overall plan is

1. Daily Work: which is a resource.
2. Growth: through reading, commuicating, work.
3. Achieving Goals: through planning, goal setting, and working daily to achieve the goals.

I am answering this question in detail in order to come up with the answer that have in mind.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Masochists Institute of Technology?

Please clarify.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Samer

No - the answer that I am looking for is what you are REALLY doing - and it would be the same answer from everybody.

3 days to go and my $50.0 looks safe.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike

Vestro discovered the shifting of galaxies and even measure the shifting but he did not discovered the outward movement, the idea that the universe was expanding. It was Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian who once told Einstein about his theory but Einstein replied “Your calculations are correct, but your physical insight is abominable”. Einstein refused to imagine a universe in which space-time was stretching.

He was a civil engineering student who dropped out because of WWI, latter he finished his PHD at the Masochists Institute of Technology. He even estimated the rate of expansion close to the figure that Hubble eventually calculated. He latter suggested that all mass-energy of the universe was once packed within a “unique quantum” which he latter called the primeval atom. It was from his view that emerged the current vision of the Big Bang.

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

I am working on answering and completing all the requirements on my projects and planning to take a trip to Asia next month. That is a daily task that will be ongoing for a month.

I hope the answer is to your expectations.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Google says it was Vesto Slipher but I don’t know what that has to do with the price of bacon in Tel Aviv?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Mike

Who was the first proponent of the Big Bang theory?

Hint: He was a Civil Engineering Student (obviously) but in 1914 interrupted his studies. Eventually he was a student at New Cambridge in New England (LOL). Einstein called him in abominable error but Einstein was.

Pissing Boy

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Yes you are doing what you have always been doing in your working life - Its just that you have not yet realised what it is that you are really doing.

Think out of the box.

By the way this is not a trick question.

I gets to the fundamentals of why we do what we do.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Rafael Davila
Mike you gave me another turn; let’s see if I can get closer.

I am doing what I have been doing.

Best regards,
Rafael
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
I thrust this message would help to refine the forum threads much better to act effective and efficient to the question posted
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

You have got to win first - and $50 would not buy you a lemonade at stringfellows.

Have another go.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
If I win, can the donation go to the Stringfellows Covent Garden? We can be in collusion and get the prize, just e-mail-me the answer. It would be a charity for the girls and a charity for you. Where else you can donate two charities for the price of one? It got to be twice tax deductible.