Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost Control practices

15 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
I am looking for reference material related to Cost Control practices.
Would appreciate any and all input such as: articles, publication, or Project procedure.

Thanks & Ciao
Carmen

Replies

Prashanta Bhaumik
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

http://www.aspirtek.com  refers a SW which does cost control

Hassan Aziz
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi carmen,

I am glad to read your comment on Cost Control, Actually i am cost controller in an Engineering Comapny so need your guidance for performing my job in better way. Could you please share your Chart to me?? so that i can do something on cost control. Hope to hear you soon. Thanks in advanced for your assistance.

Regards,

Hassan

Email Id : use private message service

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Carmen,

In your case if not an at risk Project Manager and not doing work by your own forces, I believe you should look for a software that can track committed costs at the origin, at the moment of Placing PO’s and Contracts or Subcontracts plus some basic Job Costing. Here Unit Costing as an extension to Job Costing might be a functionality you do not need.

Earned value might be of some help but this will be provided through your scheduling software. Although I believe EV a waste of time for a Contractor’s point of view, maybe you can sell something of not much value even for an Owner, at a high price. Scheduling will tell you about time and Accounting will tell you about cost, why merge them at the cost of limiting your software options?

If you do work by your own forces and contracting at risk then the system shall be capable of the above plus capable of Unit Cost tracking to complement Budgeting. Here as a Contractor at risk you will be interested in unit costs, a measure that have real meaning for the Contractor and that might span many Schedule Activities.

Timberline integrates with P3 (or used to) but I am not sure about how good it is at Unit Costing. Anyway I believe integrating Accounting and Job costing with Scheduling Software is a waste of time as Cost Breakdown Structure (Accounting) and Work Breakdown Structure (Scheduling) and are better handled apart.

As Contractors our concern is Unit Cost, budgeting without units of production is not enough and Earned Value is a language foreign to the team. Unit Cost is our language, ask any in our team about concrete cost per cubic yard, about asphalt cost per ton, or even AC cost per BTUS or Tons (12000 BTUs), but the EV gorgon, no way.

Best regards,
Rafael
Graham Chalkley
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Ref Cobra or Prism. Am looking at purchasing Cobra or Prism to use between P3e and Oracle, does anyone use it with these tools. If so what problems have you had or what have you learnt since using either products.

Your help would greatfully appreciated.

Joanne Foster
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Defence industry in AUstralia generally use "Cobra" www.wstpacific.com.au

J
Carmen Arape
Hi Charlie,

cost control for me is an activity, which needs the backup of a good software BUT until now I have not found a software to fit the needs of Cost Control. I have used TIMBERLINE many years ago, but It was oriented to fit the accounting´s needs and we did some adjustments to fit our needs.

The aim of my procedure is to put in black&white concepts, instead of writing the Know-how .

Where can I send my chart which is one page chart where you can identify key elements of Cost Constrol.

Cheers,
carmen
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi again,

Actually, the one i got is from one of the biggest and oldest EPC company in the US of A.

It maybe similar to what you got, some chart and powerpoint presentation regarding the essential of project control procedure (planning and cost).

Cheers,

Charlie
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Carmen,

I got hold of cost control technique from some colleague during our collaboration in one 3++ Billion USD tender preparation. He work in one of the biggest construction company in South America.

I just dont know if I can share it with you considering that it is company’s secret.

I worked in the oil and gas industry for few years. My colleague pass on to me the company cost control system and procedure (ISO certified). It was so detailed from estimating/proposal handover of notes for project awarded, planning, company template in cost control.

But then, just like you, we can really design our own cost control system and procedure. I’m also interested to got hold of your file. In the same way, i will share also what i got and hopefully we can compare notes with the intend of improving our approach in cost control practices.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Carmen,

I got hold of cost control technique from some colleague during our collaboration in one 3++ Billion USD tender preparation. He work in one of the biggest construction company in South America.

I just dont know if I can share it with you considering that it is company’s secret.

I worked in the oil and gas industry for few years. My colleague pass on to me the company cost control system and procedure (ISO certified). It was so detailed from estimating/proposal handover of notes for project awarded, planning, company template in cost control.

But then, just like you, we can really design our own cost control system and procedure. I’m also interested to got hold of your file. In the same way, i will share also what i got and hopefully we can compare notes with the intend of improving our approach in cost control practices.

Cheers,

Charlie

Carmen Arape
Hi Mehdi

Normally I work in Oil&Gas Projects at any stage, I mean Engineering& Construction. Right now, I am working as a planner in a pre-feasibility study in a chemical project.

In terms to understand better my need, I have a chart which I name "The HEART of Project Cost Control", which I would like to share with you. Feel free to send your E-mail if you would to see my chart.

Forgot to say, thanks for your answer.
Ciao
carmen
Carmen Arape
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your answer, BUT it is not quantity surveying, may be the input comes from quantity surveying while we are in construction in terms of forecasting.

I have checked the rosmartin site and It is a pity that I am not in Holland to attend a seminar. By the way, I like Holland a lot.

Ciao
Carmen
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Mmmmm..... in certain quarters, I think we still call this.......... quantity surveying!! ;-)

Cheers,
Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Carmen

Hi, as you know cost control methology based on type of projects and scope of work.
What’s type your project? ( oil, Gas, Civil , etc)

Best regards
Mehdi
Carmen Arape
Hi Charlie,

Excellent idea that I have done already without any success with regard what I am looking for.

Is there any cost control from FLUOR DANIEL. I have done cost control with this Company in the past (ARGENTINE to be precise) and It was my best experience controlling:
Budget and changes
Commitments
Invoicing
Forecast to completion.

Someone from this Company should know what I am talking about.

Looking forward to any reply
Carmen

Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Carmen,

The bet to do is to go Google - utimate search engine.

All you have to do is type cost control and you will get a lot of information regarding cost control.

I wish you happy surfing.

Charlie