Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Change Remain Finish Date

3 replies [Last post]
Jean Desjardins
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I have an activity which started earlier than forecasted and will consequently finish earlier.

The problem is when I put the expected finish date on Feb 15th I can't draw the finish date earlier than Feb 22nd.

I get the message : "Finish date can not be earlier than remain finish date"

Somebody know how to solve this ?

Thanks

Jean

Replies

Jean Desjardins
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks guys for your help !

Jean

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 15 min ago. Offline

Do not overlook Gary second point.

Remaining duration start depend on the out-of-sequence setting. There are several settings; such as progress override and retained logic among the most common, P6 I understand provides another and recently I learned of a % rule. All applied across the board, none a sure bet. I agree with the recommended practice of using retained logic but will add always correct logic even when your choice seems like in agreement, if latter on you change options it will no longer be in agreement, on a claim the faulty logic might be questioned as well as any late fix.

Take a look at the following image.

photo p6remainingduration_zps6c829498.png

If you setup EF to be day 26 the Overridden  option will calculate RD=18 days. The second option will calculate and change RD to 6 days without any warning if you fix EF.

Under resource leveling this is somewhat more complicated and P6 introduced what they call Remaining Float dependent on resource availability but not necessarily equal to resource constrained float judging from unreliable float computations by P6 observed by many as reported in several Planning Planet threads.

Ron Winter provided us with an excellent reference for P6 Dates you shall take a look. A reference I never get tired of posting as I find it so good.

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/Understanding_P6_Dates.pdf

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Jean:

1) If it started earlier than forecast, does that mean all of it's predecessor requirements for starting had not been met? If so, you have Out Of Sequence (OOS) working -ammend the predecessor logic to reflect what has actually happened.

This will probably fix your issue with expected finish, but please note:

2) Best practise is not to use expected finish dates. -Better to adjust remaining duration instead.

Cheers,

G