Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to update the new revised baseline to Actual?

13 replies [Last post]
justin shore
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Everyone,

I have just revised my baseline.  so the next step from my supervisor is to update the copy of the new baseline up to the data date(new Actual). since i already have an (old) Actual schedule updated on a weekly basis. so what i presume is updating the new baseline up to the data date with thousands of activities in one shot is hell of a work. so there must be some short cut way for scheduler to update it.  does anyone got some insights or similar experiance on that?

thanks in advance

justin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

copy the baseline schedule use this copy to update progress

decided what your data date or update date will be lest say 1 month after the start date 

go to the status tab when an activitiy has started but not yet finished then check the started box next to the start date and then put in the actual start date (this date must be less than that data date). Now update the remaining duration with the number of working days it take to complete the activity. so this for all started but not completed activities.

when an activitiy has started and finished then check the started box next to the start date and then put in the actual start date (this date must be less than that data date). Also check the finish box next to the finish date and put in the actual finish date. 

now press f9 and change the data date 

review schedule

create schedule narrative

Mohamad Macapundag
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

How to manage a Project Schedule step by step?

Mohamad Macapundag
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

How to manage a Project Schedule step by step?

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 10 hours ago. Offline

Justin,

The recent Schedule as a result of the "Update Baseline" function will be the lates Baseline of the Project. A copy of this Baseline will be updated periodically by the normal way of updating individual activities... Inputs of Actual Start, Remaining Dur, % Complete, etc...

Khaja Sharief
User offline. Last seen 10 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Syed,

Simple way of updating this is through excel import and export function.

First open the 20th updated initial schedule and export the actuals into excel. file->export->select spread sheet xls->select activity type as activities->select the project->you may use template for progress or create one with the fileds actual start, actual finish, %complete etc, save the excel file at any location.

Now open a copy of revised baseline project->file ->import->select excel spread sheet->select the same excel file->import

Once import is finished, run the schedule to the latest data date. This is what you are looking at. Please be careful that the activity ID's shall be same in both the schedules otherwise you may encounter unwanted results.

justin shore
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

thanks Raymund, i tried this update baseline function, and it really can do the trick. but i have another followup question:

•  you taught me that since we got our BL2, the way for us to update is to maintain it as baseline of the Previous Actual. And using the function of Update Baseline. This is what I got confused. If we do it this way, does that mean we update the new baseline 2 back to baseline1? Why it is not the other way around, like: I maintain the previous actual as baseline of the Baseline 2 , then I update the Actual with the (dates, duration and datadate) unchecked.

man, thank you a lot for your help and expertise. Merry Christamas!

Raymund de Laza

Richard,

Initial Baselines are set aside and kept in a secured place. Subject Baselines in the Topic is the Copy of the Initial Baseline.

However, during the course of the Project, when variations are introduced a Baseline # xxx with actuals is necessary.

Richard Wallace
User offline. Last seen 9 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Baselines should never be updated with 'Actuals' - it's simply poor practice.

Syed Hussain
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Raymund. Its very helpful. All actuals can be updated by using "update" feature in "Maintain Baseline" window.

The reason baseline was revised first because customer wanted to approve EOT based on baseline schedule and not updated schedule.

Syed

Raymund de Laza
What should had been done initially was to revise the updated schedule reflecting the changes with EOT. It is the chance to change relationships. However, as you have already the revised schedule, actuals from previous schedule updates has to be reflected with that new revised schedule and when done it should be called the new baseline or baseline 2. To reflect the actuals in the clean revised schedule, open the previous updated schedule and insert as baseline the revised schedule. Once assigned, in the same window maintain baseline click update and there you select whatever actuals you want to update. Hope this is with help. Merry Christmas to all.
Syed Hussain
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Raymund,

Let me explain Justin's problem as I went through the same.

Customer granted some EOT based on some natural incident and asked us to revise the baseline which should reflect additional time as a part of baseline. I revised baseline by inserting new activities and changing some logic as required by contract. This revised baseline was approved by customer and became part of our contract. Remember, we were submitting schedule updates every month and we had submitted 20 updates when new baseline was approved. Customer demanded that, after approval of revised baseline, now schedule update should be based on revised approved baseline and not the original baseline. So I had to update revised baseline with actual dates ie I had to update all tasks in one month which I did in 20 months originally. Justin and mine question is "Is there any shortcut to do this exercise?"

In my opinion, keep the record of all changes of baseline and do the same changes in the monthly schedule update. You don't need to start updating revised baseline from zero unless you don't have any record of changes. Do you have any other idea? 

Raymund de Laza

Use the Update baseline in the Maintain |Baseline window.

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Justin

I don't see how you can revise a baseline in a schedule. You can update a baseline or you can make a new baseline. Maybe you are mixing up some things.

Suggest to use the following procedure when updating your schedule.

<< Update your schedule with the data you have gathered.

>> Set the Data-date 1 week forward.

>> Schedule F9

>> Check the schedule, analyze and update the re-schedule as many times as required.

As this is completed and you are confident that the schedule is correctly updated you have 3 options to make sure that you have historic records. These are;

>> Copy the schedule and paste it in another part of the EPS structure

>> Store the schedule in Periodic Performance

>> Make a new baseline and store the baseline in the present schedule or separately.

Regards

Johannes