Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Opening XER file from P6.r8 in P6.r7

3 replies [Last post]
Mohamed Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Everyone,

We are in transition period moving from P6r.7 to P6r.8.2 and we still have some project and 7 while we started some project in 8.

I am facing a problem in one my peoject where there is part of the project has been build in r.8 and I need to joined up the overall programme in r.7.

I did the standard XER file from 8 and when I upload it in r.7 doesn't work and I get the error message with this event code: CVRJC-3324-A .

I would appreciate any help or any recommendation on what I need to do on r.8 to get the xer file works in r.7

Kind Regards

Mohamed

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Mohamed,

You want to use a text-only editor that that does not format your text with invisible codes.  If you are not very careful, Microsoft Word can modify your text documents by adding unseen codes that will spoil the XER-modifying process.  Instead select the Windows Start Button / All Programs / Accessories / Notepad and edit a copy of your XER file using that.  Good luck!

Mohamed Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Roland,

Thankk you very much for your comments...

I will press a little further on your receiving-side solution which as you said its involves using Windows Notebook (or any other text-only editor that won’t corrupt the file)... what do you mean by Windows Notebook OR text-only editor and if you can explain to me how to use them... 

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Mohamed

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Mohamed,

The simple answer to your problem is to instruct the P6 V8.2 users to save their backups in Version 7.0 format (the version box is just to the right of the “Create a XER Backup” option button.

A receiving-side solution involves using Windows Notebook (or any other text-only editor that won’t corrupt the file) and editing the version number in the first line of the XER backup file.  Care should be taken to only replace the “8.2” with a “7.0” without changing anything else.  Then just save the file and try it again.  You may want to try this on a copy of the XER file to make sure that you do not lose your only backup file.  Good luck!