Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path

18 replies [Last post]
Mehdi Oulmehdi
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is this definition is still true:

"the duration of a critical path is the sum of the durations of critical tasks that it is made"?

in my opinion it's different.

see this example attached.wysiwyg_imageupload::

456.jpg

Replies

mahmoud el shamy
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

hi mohamed

the duration of the project become the sum durations of the critical path if the relations between themare fs only because there is overlab

and if you want to calculate the duration estimate the overlab and it will be o.k

best regards 

mahmoud el shamy

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 21 min ago. Offline

I Agree with Amin that the criticality of a pipeline is on the resources and that splitting the job into several segments make sense. Each linear subprojetc will still have the same basic scheduling requirement of a bigger linear job.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Mehdi

Looking at one of your posts on the activities and the durations, and also related to the critical path problem, you can consider that gobally, the  criticality of pipelines is mainly in resource, and not largely due to physical (activityrelationships). Subject to the budget/commercial constraints, If  there are more crews/teams, more work fronts can be openned up simultaneously.

Also to avoid SS relationships and long durations, split the pipeline lengths into smaller work sections, use natural boundaries, changes in terrains, road crossings, location of change in pipe class and diameters as your guide.

(As an illustration, in a  cross country pipeline project, our largest section was 12km, and the shortest was less than 3000m. We use the P&I Diagrams, Hydrotest Diagrams, and topography sections as guide)

Then, globally, within sections, create  resource sequence logic; example after Sec 01 (kM 000+100 ) (Welding Group Team A) -> move to Sec 05 (Km 090+500); Pipelaying Crew A will work at Sec 03 (KM 012+000) -> move to Sec 04 (Km 021+000). As a took, explore the use of excel to create a time space diagram.

After the above, then for each section, you can now create your detailed programme with relationship of the activities as you have mentioned below.

1– Topography
2 - Construction of the active runway.
3 - Excavation of the trench
4- cladding tubes along the trench

5 - Welding tubes (143 days) - in the example, this activity will commence only after the Team assigned to it as completed previous Section work.

6 - Laying in trench (145 days)
7 – Backfill (128 days)

etc.

Rafael Davila

The following figure illustrates the suggested split. As you can see there are some GAPS in between the splis and an adittional gap at the end of first activity.

Photobucket

The following figure displays a continuous flow you can schedule by changing production rates. The use of Super Float shall give you all the needed information to fill all gaps, without any miss. Just look at the project duration it is the same 321 days. Beware that filling all Gaps comes at a cost, it eliminate some float. Only you shall decide how to split the activities.

Photobucket

Updating and managing the schedule in this way shall be a breeze, on every change of production rate a new split shall be added keeping a transparent record of your plans and performance.

Best regards,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

I never worked on a truly linear job to see in action the theory on the diagram lines and slope interpretation but because the linear diagram can be a bi-product of a CPM there can be some work-around as to see on your Gantt where the adjustments are needed.

For a couple of activities with SS and FF relationship and short duration use of time lag this can be an acceptable compromise in the absence of volume of volume lag functionality. Even when my software has volume lag, sometimes I use time lags for feeding activities. 

A linear job can be managed without the use of linear diagrams as long as you make the adjustments to reflect the productivity trends.

For when you have many overlapping feeding activities I suggest avoiding the FF/SS link between any two activities by splitting the activities in two. As soon as you see a gap in between the activities then you can revise your planning by adjusting your production rates so the work flows smoothly without many interruptions in the use of resources.  I do not mean filling the gap by always reducing production rates or it would be better to keep the interruptions, you can close the gap by increasing production rates as to keep the job on track.

If you model the above using multiple activities that leapfrog can you imagine the mess for adjusting your plan?

Linear diagrams as well as CPM and resource planning are to be managed, they need constant monitoring and adjustments, it is not about keeping the plan static and observe it did not happened as planned.

I have a preference for Critical Path Methods and most probably in a Rail Metro job I would have thousands of activities that belong to a CPM while maybe a few dozens that belong to a line diagram. In such case I can set for the line diagram to include only those that belong to it and leave out of this diagram the other thousands, to be analyzed within the CPM.

Best regards,

Rafael

Mehdi Oulmehdi

hello Anning sofi you can send me the software to test, for a period of 20 days, here is my email. moulmehdi@yahoo.com

Mehdi Oulmehdi

thank you Rafael for the idea to ​​put links FF, it's a good idea.

Mehdi Oulmehdi

thank you all for your help, I just download Tilos evaluation, it begins to impress me.

Anning Sofi

If a company has no time space diagram software, then what is the alternative, for horizontal projects?  P6 has limitations with respect to this type of projects. Will you insist to your management to purchase a time space software? Surely, even without time space software, a planner can plan with the tools readily available, like excel and maybe MS project or P6.

I am of knowledge of a metro (rail) project in hongkong, there was no time space diagram software; it was successfully planned and monitored using excel and P6;

Rafael Davila

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciYVSAhOsJk

Time location diagram will only be valid if your software can model the volume lag. Why having two software that in most cases will be in conflict, better use a single CPM software capable of producing valid time location diagrams.

Best regards,

Rafael

Anning Sofi

Also Mehdi, for pipeline projects (horizontal/distance projects), it is recommended to plan thru a time space diagram programme (TILOS) than P6.

Alternatively, create time space diagram using excel spreadsheet for planning the sequence of activities and crews, PLUS  P6 for monitoring/analysis slippage.

Anning Sofi

Do you weld the pipes on the trench? or do you weld the pipelengths into strings, then lower it in trench, then tie-in the strings.

I would expect these activities in a gas pipeline project.

a) ROW Preparation

b) Ditching

c) Bedding

d) Haul and String Pipes

e) Line Up and Weld

f) Lower in Trench

g) Tie-ins

h) Partial Backfill

h)  Pigging/Testing

i) Backfill

j) Commissioning

Rafael Davila

Photobucket

Mehdi,

You cannot finish the construction of the runway without finishing the predecessor activity so a FF link is missing.

The successor activity depend on the actual physical progress of the predecessor not on how much time has passed. This is a volume of work relationship and modeling of lag using time lag will yield wrong modeling of the relationship as time lag will be accrued independently of the volume of realized work. Say after 17 days of topography you have not realized the required volume, say half have been realized then construction of the runway cannot start yet but a model base on time lag will erroneously tell it can. As the work progress the volume lag is still active and therefore must still exist such dependency, time lags after the initial specified time elapses are no longer active. Volume lags will always be active and will finish after the volume of work reported finishes.

I believe it would be a better model if you use volume of work activities with lag driven by resource productivity a more complex relationship but closer to reality. Not modeled in this way to keep it simple, of course you can have duration type activities linked with volume lag if this is your real need.

If you cannot model this scenario using volume lags at least make it less far than reality by adding the required FF links using the limited functionality of time lag, not good enough but not as bad as missing these links.

It is a phallacy there are perfect models, some are better than others, closer to reality while others are very far. Take your best available option.

Best regards,

Rafael

Mehdi Oulmehdi

Hello.
I explain my case, I work in a pipeline project (gas pipeline 350 km), and this type of project consists of the following phases (in order of succession).
1 – Topography (178 days).
2 - Construction of the active runway. (181 days). SS1 +17days
3 - Excavation of the trench (138 days). SS2 +30days
4-cladding tubes along the trench (156 days). SS3  +13days
5 - Welding tubes (143 days). SS4  +25days
6 - Laying in trench (145 days). SS5   +15days
7 – Backfill (128 days). SS6   +23days

(SS : start to start.)

So to begin a sentence I have to release a certain amount of its predecessor.
Example: to begin Phase “Construction of the active runway”, I must liberate 3% (estimated) of the phase “topography”. And so on. And once a phase is started it does not stop until the end of the project.
Can someone give me a reliable solution for the modeling of this project?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Mehdi

That is correct - you will only get a true critical path using FS links.

When you think about it a SS lead lag link is a FS link disguised because some part of the predecessor has to be finished before the succesor can start - it is false and lazy planning and should be banned.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mehdi Oulmehdi

this means that there is not critical path  with link start to start

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Mehdi

That quote works for correctly placed tasks with FS links only.

SS links with lags is not a true critical path - particularly when there are no successor links.

Add up the lags and you will probably get 119 days.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Mehdi,

Take a look at the bars in your sample.. it will answer your query.