Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What does this means? "Link actual and actul this period ..."

5 replies [Last post]
Muhammad Asim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi: Could some explain to me in easy words the meaning of two check boxes in (P6)

Project Window  > Calculation Tab

Link Actual and Actual this Period Unit and Costs

and

Recalculate Actual Units and Costs when duration % complete changes

Thanks

Replies

Ahmed Farag
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi;

Can anyone help with the following.

My previous actual units changes everytime I update (Schedule Project). I'm Sure I Untick the mark next to "Recalculate Actual Units & Cost when duration % complete changes" at project level.

note:- the actual changes to be linear change (for ex. if actual units are 24 for 4 periods each period changes to be 6 units)

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 day 18 hours ago. Offline

I want to match the layout of a schedule that was sent as an .XER  The pdf has a column called "Actual This Period Cost".  I cannot find a column with that name.  I can pull up period Material Cost, etc but not the one just noted.  I assume it has to do with setting up financial periods.  On a more broad note, what is the advantage of setting up Financial periods.  We are looking to reconcile the schedule and the SOV in the least complicated manner, I would like to avoid having to review more than 1 type of % complete, what is the minimum system?  I thought of just requiring activity or schedule % complete and then have one activity to balance with all the special cost adjustments done in excel and placed on that one activity - to avoid work% vs schedule% which doubles the complications...and advice is appreciated.

Baris Hazar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Muhammad,

In general, 'Actual This Period Units' means the actual units that you completed between the last update and previous update.

If you use 'Store Period Performance' feature of P6, you can view the units completed in the current period by looking at 'Actual This Period Units'. Otherwise, 'Actual This Period Units' will be equal to 'Actual Units'.

To use 'Store Period Performace' feature, you should set your 'Financial Periods' under Admin menu in accordance with your update frequency and time.

Regards,

Baris

Muhammad Asim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you Baris:

Culd you explain "Actual This Period Units", and waht is meaning of period in this phrase?

Baris Hazar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Link Actual and Actual this Period Unit and Costs : Marking this checkbox enables P6 to recalculate Actual Units, Actual This Period Units and  Actual Cost when one of these vaules is updated.

Recalculate Actual Units and Costs when duration % complete changes : If you added units to an activity without using resources (Activity Details-->Status---At the right side of the pane you can edit budgeted units for the activity), you must mark this option to enable P6 to calculate actual values by using the formula: Actual (units or costs) = Budgeted (units or costs) * Duration % Complete. If you want to have a cost actual, then you should set a price/unit at Project-->Calculations-->Activities-->Default Price/Unit for activities without resource and role Price/Units.

Hope this helps,

baris