Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to set Baseline- After revised the Schedule and to

9 replies [Last post]
abbas india
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,,

Can anybody know how to set baseline after we revised the Schedule and to set this revised Schedule as a baseline to the revised current schedule.??

When I tried by Project - Maintain baselines- add- save a copy of the revised schedule and assigned to the revised current schedule, it gave me wrong baseline dates and all completed activities having without Actual dates in it.

Please help,

Best regards,
Abbas

Replies

Md Sabeel
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

As i have prepare the Balance work program with some ongoing progress activities like ( Actual Start updated with some 75% and for that my finish date is showing as 30-Nov-12), i send it for approval to client they agreed n said me to update the same program, then started maintainning the baseline as a Same project then i go to assign baseline der i select the project baseline as well as py. baseline then i assign it in activity layout i have introduced the columns saying BL Project Start and BL Project Finish here i have the problem where ever i have updated are mention the Actual the start date is remainning is same but the finish date is not match with BL Finish date.

Any idea pls..

RAJA GHOSAL
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

It seems so long that we didn't exchange ideas.Hope you'r good.

Dear Just want to knw wat is procedure to prepare an impact analysis for an ongoing project wherein project undergoes lot of technical changes, and additions & alterations etc.also project has weekly updated status.

Pl guide me based on your experiance.

Regards,

Raja Ghosal.

raja_ghosal8888@rediffmail.com

Usama Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 13 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

All activities are assign and schedule then we realize that one activity left so when we add it primavera p6 opens a tab

do u want to add a start on or after constraint on 12-jan-10 to hold the activity in place? yes or no

so what can i do......please help

Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Some times I have to run Global change a few time before all the planned dates are equal to early dates..

Has someone else has faced the same issue i.e. running the global change a few times before it completely overwrites the old dates?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 43 min 28 sec ago. Offline
Niles,
I also used that settings and it doesn’t help. Try to do some experiment and the baseline will still have slippage. That setting is only used for Earned Value calculation but not for aligning revise baseline to current project. We already have that discussion before as link below:

Baseline with actual dates in
Baseline dates problems
niles luo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
hi all,
In order to solve this problem, we can revise the configuration of P6 system. Detail is changing the option of Aadmin preferences->earned value->earned value caculation->when caculating earned value from a baseline use, at this point we can choose the Budgeted value with current dates.
Rodel Marasigan
Abbas,
Yes it will gave some error but not to worry because it error only on milestones because if start Milestone then no finish date only start and finish Milestone don’t have start date only finish date.
abbas india
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rodel,

Thank you very much.

While running the Global changes it gave some error, when I committed the changes it worked.

Thanking you once again.

Abbas.
Rodel Marasigan
Abbas,
Your doing it correctly but baseline will always show the planned date and not the actual date.
Here are the steps you need to do if you want the actual start and finish will be shown on the baseline.
Restore your baseline under Project-> Maintain Baseline then click the baseline and click Restore.
Open the restore baseline and run a global change
Planned Start = Start
Planned Finish = Finish

Note: Dont reschedule(f9) because if the logic is wrong the planned date will change again.

Show the column Planned Start, Planned Finish, Start and Finish and check if Planned Start = Start and Planned Finish = Finish. If both are the same then maintained and attached the baseline again. That should reflect the revised baseline.
Note: You also need to select which baseline are you using: Project Baseline or User Primary Baseline Under Project Directory-> Setting Tab. That should match when assigning baseline to current Project.