Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Stand Alone Slow performance

9 replies [Last post]
Sampath Lakshmi N...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all

Kindly help me in this matter. I have p6 standalone.I am working in multiple projects. Few days it was working good. One fine day every project just opening it self taking 2 hrs time. Then even importing and opening of projects are taking too long time (More than 1 Hr). Kindly suggest me a way to work out.....
Thanks in Advance

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 19 hours ago. Offline

do this

Go to start

All programs

Select Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Then Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Server name is the name of your computer\PRIMAVERA

Authentication is SQL Server Authentication

Login: sa

Password is: Prima123Vera

Select Connect

On the left expand the databases and select pmdb$primavera

Uptop select New Query

on the right type this

update statistics project with fullscan ,all
update statistics task with fullscan, all

Then right click execute

Then type

exec sp_updatestats

Then right click execute

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

You can try below solution:

When using Primavera P6 with Microsoft SQL Server database, we can have problem like this:- Loading Data hangs at 98%.- Performance issues in SQL Server.- Opening projects is slow.- PM.exe not responding after entering username and password.- Project Management window disappears after loading data.- Cannot login to PM, no error. Here is the solution to solve above problem: https://doduykhuong.com/2018/05/10/primavera-p6-sql-server-database-slow-loading-data-performance-issue/
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Luca

Maybe you’ll first try backup and restore. "Corrupt" might be too many extensions of some tables which may lead to "out of memory".

Regards
Dieter
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi
what I found out that if I import several schedules into the DB after a while it get corrupted and need to re-install a brand new DB

Generally with the DB corrupted my system performance was very bad

L

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

You are welcome..

Sampath Lakshmi N...
Thank you once again Mr.Arnold.

Thanks alot for ur technical sugestion. I will try in that way and reply you. Any way so kind of u..

warm regards
Lakshmi Narayanan
Arnold Puy
Hi Sampath,

Based on my experience to my windows xp laptop, shrinking decrease the usage capacity of my database and the performance is quite better than before. I am not sure if you should re-arrange first before shrink. But it works fine without doing that. But, make sure to backup your database.

Try to reduce the data from your database and just import again the moment you will need it. This is also what I am doing.

Regards,

Arnold
Sampath Lakshmi N...
Thank you very much Mr.Arnold. I have checked your first option which is correct. I am using windows xp. Can you tell me whether shrinking of data base will give effect in performance of primavera and should i use re arrage before shrinking...?

Thank you once agin for ur help

warm regards
Lakshmi Narayanan
Arnold Puy
Hi Sampath,

1. Try to check your Edit --> User Preferences --> Startup Filters, all mark must be under the "Current date project only".

2. If you are using windows vista try to change the setting from your Control Panel --> Power Option --> Preferred Plans, then select "High performance".

3. You can compress or Shrink your database using the "SQL Server Management Studio Express".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arnold