Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Problems when exporting from Primavera to MS Project

7 replies [Last post]
Sunny Vu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Whenever I receive a Primavera schedule from my vendor, the dates (finish, baseline finish) change. Please let me know if there is a way to fix it. Any advice on what is the best procedure to follow when exporting data to MS Project.

Replies

Sunny Vu
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you everyone for your response. I think the constraints is my problem.
Mooney Brian
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Dieter

You are right (again)I have been trailing importing from MSP to P6 on some sample projects. When the project is just logic driven it seems to work fine (except the issue with the milestone ’duration’) but if you try to add constraints it gets messy.

Thanks again, it is appreciated, Sunny does any of this make sense/assist?

Regards

Brian
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Brian
Another reason may be the constraints: their behaviour is a little different and MSP cannot work with two in one activity.
Regards
Dieter
Mooney Brian
Deiter

Thanks for the advice, I believe the problem may be confined to version 6.0 and is fixed in 6.1.

This problem may be contributing to the problems Sunny encountered importing from P6 to MSP (date variances etc.)

Regards

Brian
Dieter Wambach
Brian
You can avoid this effect if you assign the milestones to a calendar with a longer working time than the other activities.
Regards
Dieter
Mooney Brian
I am not sure if this helps, I have had a similar problem but when in importing projects from MSP to P6. For example in MSP a finish milstone would show the same completion date as it’s predessor, in P6 the finish milestone can jump to the following day.

Instead of the finish milestone having ’no duration’ P6 assigns a small duration which appears to cause the problem.

I hope this makes sense & helps.

Regards

Brian

Dieter Wambach
Sunny
P5 and P6 shouldn’t produce a significant difference for the dates against the MSP schedule (2000 or 2003). With 2007 I have no experience. BUT Primavera has many features not included in MSP, which may lead to some differences, e.g. some of the constraints.
How to avoid difference: Switch off the automatic scheduling for MSP. Then the dates will be kept. Hope this will help. If not: Which versions of the software do you use? What are the differences?
Regards
Dieter