Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera 5 Installation Help

39 replies [Last post]
emin simsek
User offline. Last seen 17 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

I am trying to install p5 but fail at database configuration. it gives bad user name or pw error. what can i do? also wonder what is this user name (pbuser) and what’s pw?

Replies

imran sikander
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

You can install primavera p6. I'm sharing link for installation you can check below tutorial link.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&ar=2&video_id=FbxEwiaWar8

bharabi dharan
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi sir am having problem in installation of primavera P6 R8.1 in data base configuration bad user name or password i try to repair and also i try to uninstall and re install the software then also the problem is coming so pleastell me the good solution to solve the problem...... am waiting for your solution please send me as much as possible soon sir.

Thank you

Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
http://daniel-cohen.org/Documents/Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Primavera 5.0 Installation Guide.

Regards.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
HI igho,

primavera manual is the best book for begineers.

It comes with every CD of P5 or else you can download it from primavera website.

Cheers,

Raviraj
hope igho
User offline. Last seen 12 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
hi ulysses garcia,
i really appreciate your concern, but my demand is i don’t know how to use P5,am completely new to it, how do i start? or you could send me a detail guide for beginners
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
hi hope,

In project management it is not solely the tools will help you but its mainly your knowledge in project management. tools will only assist you to ease your burden to do the job.
hope igho
hi ulysses garcia,
thanks for the advice. but tell me, am just a learner in project planning so how do i go about P5, as in the complete detail about it - usage and application.
hope igho
am a new user of p3,help me with istallations details and usage
ulysses garcia
hi hope

don’t think of p3 anymore it will be obsolete soon, try primavera p5
ulysses garcia
Hi guys,

In installing P5, I do interferes others saying the default users name and password is privuser or pubuser. the correct is ADMIN. If you are unsure please DONT let other comfused by a wrong answer. sORRY....FOLKS
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Selahattin,

P5 will not run on a computer using the Vista operating system. This is due to the fact that the stand-alone installation uses MSDE as the database server and Vista does not support MSDE. Your options are to go back to P4, wait for P6, or install the XP operating system. Good luck!
Selahattin KAYA
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Eugene,
My Operation system is VISTA, P5 installed as standalone.
I did what you said but, no way. even after i change the Hostname to read server name no way.

I have seccesfully working at my office PC, but. Office PC working with XP. don’t know what to do.
Eugene K
User offline. Last seen 12 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
i had the same problem... mine is installed as standalone.

place ur cursor on the "server" icon at the bottom right corner of ur screen to see the "name" of the server.
then when u test/connect ur database, make sure the same "name" is specified as the HOSTname.

my default HOSTname was Admin...
but my "server" icon show PCplanner...

after i change the Hostname to read PCplanner...
i can successfully connect the database.
Selahattin KAYA
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I have the same problem, is there any help i can get?
Sean Yap
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, Rodel Marasigan, Thanks so much for your help, you remind me to set the default users in database setup wizard. I create a new database and forgot to key in the pubuser.

Regards,
Sean
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 55 min ago. Offline
Hi Sean,

Default usersname and password is "pubuser".
If can not connect try to use "privuser" as usersname and password.

Rodel
Sean Yap
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
I have complete the whole installation but I can’t connect to the database. Mysql server is running but this error message keep on coming out

Bad private user name or password. Check the public group ID.

I’m using the default username and password (pubuser with group ID 1).

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.
ruben quintal
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
hi guys,

the P5 manual states that MSDE can support up to eight users. anybody knows how to do this?

tnx.
ben
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
hello

the default user and password for pm5 is admin and admin

but the default for sql desktop engine is user: sa and password is prima

hope that make sens

mimoune
Natalia Barroso
User offline. Last seen 6 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I also have installed Primavera 5, and I found the following problem "Bad public user name or password. SQL Server Error: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Do not exist the SQL Server or the accesss is denied".

I would really apreciate any help mi e-mail is
teakstock22@hotamail.com

Thanks
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
hello all

Thanks for this thread, I have installed PRIMAVERA 5 yesterday, and I faced the same problem first when I log to PM by admin and password admin, it works fine for the first time,

But today it says the password is incorrect, i uninstalled then installed from scratch, always the same problem, but hopefully the user pubuser with the same password works just fine, (I don’t know why)

Anyway, I have just played with this new software for one day, but apart from the EPS and OWS, not really a big deal. (I am referring to P3)

Happy new years AID for all (although this one was the saddest for me)

Friendly mimoune
Gillan Lam
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gents

I think both Barrie and Ronald had address the installation issue. What I just want to add is sometime the computer name do affect the installation. Especially if your computer name have spaces. Try to rename the computer if all the suggestion do not work.

BTW James I do understand the frastration of not able to operate P3e as P3. But as most of us suggested pls keep using it, because Primavera already announance 2010 is the end of P3... If you are still working by then, pls consider to learn the new beast

Cheers

Gillian
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Barrie,

Well said! There is once addition that I should make here though.

If you had a Version 4 (or earlier) MSDE server installation, then the server machine is just the machine name without the \PRIMAVERA. Primavera made this change to add their name to the server in Version 5. Versions upgraded from Version 4 kept their old server name.

In addition, the Version 4 name of the database was PMDB (without the $primavera) tacked on to the end. If you upgraded, then the database name remains PMDB. Looks like there is a Tagger loose in Primavera Headquarters!
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
If some of you are trying to load Primavera Enterprise onto MSDE on the same machine you need to be aware of the following.

When Primavera has installed your MSDE than the MSDE Administrator username is "sa" and the password is "prima" or "Prima". The Primavera Privileged Username and Password is "privuser" - both of them. The Primavera Public Username and Password is "pubuser" - also both of them. These are the Primavera defaults. Naturally, when deploying into production you should change all the Primavera Usernames and Passwords for security reasons.

Primavera also calls the server hostname\primavera so if you are installing on a machine with a hostname of "kinley", the name of the MSDE database server is "kinley\primavera". Finally the default name for the database is pmdb$primavera and mmdb$primavera for Project Management and Methodology Management respectively. The PMDB you select when logging in could be called any name you want and Primavera choose to call it a different name than the actual database.

Those of you installing myPrimavera onto MSDE should be aware the port number can change nd you need to find out what it really is.
emin simsek
Hi Jun,

I met such a problem too; you can see wen scroll down.(Bad public user name or password.) For the rest of error message make sure the correct sql server is running.
On the other hand, isn’t there any solution for bad username or pw problem? If not how can i get a demo version p3 e/c or something like that?

thanks..
jun peregrin
User offline. Last seen 17 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
i also have some problems with my database configuration..here is the error:

Bad public user name or password. SQL Server Error: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.;

any help is very much appreciated..thanks =)
Email : junpere@hotmail.com
Suraj Bhatt
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James!
Well I would recommend that u keep both.The fun with P3e is that we can work on the schedule real fast, especially with the copying,shifting the levels in the WBS(which is a real pain in P3.1) and also for assigning relationships and many more.What I usually do is to make a basic shedule in P3e and then export it to P3.1 (as in gulf most companies still stick to P3.1 so I have submit it in p3.1) and then work with assigning the resources(I am not confident yet to assign resources in p3e and then import in P3.1).

Cheers!
Suraj
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James,

Not a very good move if I may say so,perhaps you should have kept both loaded. Working in P3.1 but kept working the P3e. (Remember this type of software will be the future- so we are told!).

Would it not be an idea to get hold of a copy of a training manual from www.EH.aus (Paul Harris’s company), and work your way through it.

Or perhaps try getting onto the Primavera courses, I found doing the course after having played about with the system to be very benifitial.

My only problem with P3e is that all the projects I have been involved with since doing the courses I only ever get to use P3.1!!!!

Regards

John
James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for all your replies,
I will proceed with the re-installation of my P3 3.1 back. I dont like P3e. There are pros and cons buti like P3 3.1 better. P3e is good for editing but i dont plan for editing, i plan to lessen editing. I’ll see when i will be ready for this P3e then make a seamless shift but for now i just have to move on with all what i easily do in order to function well.

Cheers,
Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 14 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Except for the import/export in the Primavera Project Management program for P3 data, P3 and Primavera 5.0 are toally independent of each other. They share no programs or other files, and the database architectures and vendors are totally different. So both may be installed in the same environment, neither is at all aware of the other.
Suraj Bhatt
Hi James!
You can have P3.1 and P3e both installed in your PC and work on them,there will be no problem.I have been working on both the versions together for last one year and have faced no problems to date.
Regards,
Suraj
James Saldigor
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,
I hope that this is the appropriate tread for my query,

If i have P3E in my pc installaed, will it have a conflict to install P3 3.1 back in it.

Is there any possibility of inconsistent file sharing flow or whatever???

Im just not confident with P3e and i want to have P3 3.1 installed back.

Thanks
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
emin,

Standalone version means that you will not run the P3 e/c from a separate server, for that u need to have the licensed copy of P3 e/c attached with the original License file provided from Primavera.
emin simsek
no, i m trying stand-alone installation. i uninstalled p3 v3.1 before starting and tried installing twice. everything ok till database configuration. i also disabled firewall. and these steps are taken on another machine; it didn’ work out too.
Suraj Bhatt
Do u have an original licensed CD????
Are you trying to install stand alone??
If stand alone, then I recommend that u uninstall all P5 files from your PC including the folder in your C-Program files...
then once everything is uninstalled; restart your PC.
Try installing afresh.
All the best.
Regards
Suraj
emin simsek
i tried all u said. first it gave an error code "SQLSE-3824-6". but i can’t understand why all the usernames/pws did’nt work; because i m the admin ( working on my laptop on windows home edt.). when i use pubuser pw and user name error message: "Database log on failed."...
Karim Mounir
OK, when u open P3 e/c it will show u a window contains 3 text boxes: Login name, Password, Database now u see 3 dots beside database, click on that.

now a window appears click on Add then select Microsoft SQL server then next.
another window appear contains 2 text boxes: Host name (type in the ip address of the server running enterprise such as 10.0.0.200) and a database name (default one that comes with P3 e/c is : pmdb) then next.
the default user name & password are : pubuser if this did not work try this user name & password : privuser

if this did not work contact your admin.
emin simsek
Hi karim,

thanks for your help, but it did not work again. although i tried username/pw combinations such as pbuser/pbuser, sa/null.. etc. nothing changed. on the other hand i have no experience about database. i uninstalled P3 and installed P5 and sql server coming with P5. what u advice now?
Karim Mounir
emin,

the database file should be usually located in the server which is used for Primavera.

eg.
if u use a separate server for P3ec then u should know the ip address of this server (like 10.0.0.200) which is the host name and also u should know the name of the database that u use (default is pmdb)).

for the password it is : pbuser same as the user name.