Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Transfer resources from one program to another

5 replies [Last post]
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Colleagues,

If I want to transfer all resources with their manhours’ figures from one schedule to another one, knowing that the second schedule is a revision of the first (having same number of activities and activties’Id but links have changed).In P3 it was a simple transfer button but in P3e, you need to make export to a database file then open the second program and make import resources only.

Tell me please what is the best way to transfer all resources with their allocated manhours.

Thanks & Regards,
Jihad Daniel

Replies

Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
J Daniel,

When you export a project (XER format), it will also export any resource assigned to that project.

When you import the XER file, there are import configuration options. By default, if the resource doesn’t exist in the new database, it will add it. And by default, if the resource name already exists in the resource pool or dictionary, it will keep existing information regarding its rates, limits, and so forth. If the resource already exists, and you want the resource information from the XER file to update your resource dictionary, then change the import option from "keep existing" to "update existing" for the data type "resources". This is found in the modify import configuration dialog -- part of the import wizard.

Regards,
Bill
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
If you want to see the assignments in the other database you should export the entire project (and not just the resources).

After import you will be able to see the combined effort of the shared resources across the different projects.

Hope this helps, if not please provide some more details of the problem you are facing.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for inentifying again another good reason to stick with p3 and avoid p3e

cheers bill
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
They are in different data bases. I tried to use export/import commnand such as exporting only resources from the first schedule to a transfer xer file than going to the second schedule and importing this same file, but this did not work. Is there any other way or did I miss something in the export/import process?

Thanks & Regards,
J.S. Daniel
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
If the projects reside in one database instance (i.e. EPS) I would use copy and paste.