Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Understanding Different type of progress % -P6

4 replies [Last post]
Khaja Sharief
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
I have seen that, there are many percentage completes fields in P6. I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me in understanding the following percentages.
1. Duration % Complete
2. Duration % Complete of Original
3. Performance % Complete
4. Schedule % Complete
5. Physical % Complete

I am finding difficulty in understanding how primavera calculate all these percentages. Please help.

It would be very much helpful if the explanation is augmented with practical example.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Khaja Sharief
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Great thanks all the respondents!!
I have collected the following information from Primavera help, just to augment the discussion.

To indicate that the activity’s percent complete will be entered by the user for this activity, select Physical. In this case, Activity % Complete = Physical % Complete.

To specify that the activity’s percent complete be calculated from the original and remaining durations, select Duration. In this case, Activity % Complete = Duration % Complete = (Original Duration – Remaining Duration) ¸ Original Duration.

To specify that the activity’s percent complete be calculated from the actual and remaining units, select Units. In this case, Activity % Complete = Units % Complete = (Actual Labor Units + Actual Nonlabor Units) ¸ (Actual Labor Units + Actual Nonlabor Units +Remaining Labor Units + Remaining Nonlabor Units).

Any more discussion is greatly appreciated.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Physical % complete is used when progres is measured outside primavera. E.g. total tiling work is 1800 Sqm for a floor, and u have completed 180 Sqm as on data date, then physical % is set as 10%. Physical % complete is not linked to Resource units or the actual and remaining Durations of the activity.

Duration % Complete is linked with the Actual Duration and is calculated from the Actual Start to the Current Data date. A Change in the Duration % Complete will change the Remaining Duration.

uNIT % complete is all between Activity % complete and the activity Units % Complete.

Schedule & Complete - As per schedule, what % shud have been complete. This is auto calculate based on baseline dates.

Cheers,

Ravi
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sharief,

It will be a very broad subject trying to figure out how primavera calculates all those percentages. It then become a question on how did they made the programming of the software.

Anyway, in my novice understanding of those percentages, I simply refer to the connotation of its specific title such as Duration, Performance, Schedule, or Physical. It leads me then to the following understanding that:
1. Duration % complete refers to the progress update of a certain activity against its planned duration.
2. Performance % complete refers to the earned value.
3. Schedule % complete refers to the entire schedule progress against the completion period of the program and is synonymous to the Duration % Complete.
4. Physical % complete refers to the progress of activities with related activity steps and which was assigned with Percent Complete Type of Physical instead of Duration or Units.

Hope I made my assumptions right.

Simply sharing.

Ferdinand
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
me too! but let me try:

1. Duration % Complete - I believe this should evolve from the planning unit used.
2. The same as no. 1, but using the baseline only
3. Performance % Complete - I guess this works on resource units and costs
4. Schedule % Complete - I intend to believe that this is supposed to be the same as point 1 and/or 2.
5. Physical % Complete - I’m sure this one will really give you the worst problem!