Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

change hourly planning unit to daily planning unit

14 replies [Last post]
Mohd Sarudin Mohd...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi. I’m taking over this project from a former collegue. My problem is that he is using hour as the planning unit whereas now i’m required to present it in days. I’ve tried to change the planning unit without any success. Can aybody help me on this?

Replies

Shima Zabetian
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi, guys

I have a problem in this subject:

When I change the planning unit from hour to day, P3 omit some decimals in original duration and cause diffrent activity dates, how can solve this problem?
Can I use hour as planning unit and just make P3 to show durations in day?

best regards

Zabetian

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Paul,
Wanna bet on the Tri-Nations?
Philip Jonker
Hi Paul,

As the Guru, nice to see you participating. This particular subject has been discussed at length in other threads, and particularly the problem of calendars. An area that is not taken into consideration is relationships ( not with sheep) but particularly the lags, a great deal of consideration to detail has to be paid to everything in the schedule when doing conversions. Try to teach the practical implications. There is ten ways of skinning a cat or croc, but approaching a sheep is limited, to carefully.
Wasi Raza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Paul. You were right we need to put in Project Group not the name. Thanks a lot :)
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
To copy a project you need to fill in the Project Group Field and not the Project Name field.

The easiest way to change the unit of a P3 file is to open the project with SureTrak and change the time units in the options form. 8 hours/day are converted to days and will not work for calendars that are not 8 hours/day.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Yes I have an Idea

1) Check to see if the files are not Marked Read Only.
2) Try P3 Help
It gives you a step by step explanation as to how to copy a File. Or a Project Group.

3) If all of This Fail Try run Fix It on the P3 File. (PFWX)

4) Also Try and Work on your C Drive. Once you have completed then you can move it back to the network

Cheers

The Above should do the trick

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Wais

Try another directory, possible you do not have access right to the directory you want to copy to

Cheers

Alex
Wasi Raza
hi. I have been having the same problem although i am not changing the original plans planning unit..keeping it same on days as in original plan..still it comes up with ’invalid file name’. ne ideas?
Henk van der Heide
Hello Ahmed,

Try to copy the complete project group. Not only a subproject (i dont know if thats what you tried). Remember first two characters of the activity id are use for the projectname.

Regards

Henk
zulfi Ali
User offline. Last seen 17 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, Friends

I have been trying to copy by using TOOLS->PROJECT UTILITIES->COPY But every time it says (INVALID PROJECT NAME) in second window.for TO.(Can anyone solve this).

ahmed
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
You could also do the copy and then use Global Change to update the durations and lags. Duration and lag may also exist on resource assignments, so export/global change these as well. P3 uses the calendar from the predecessor on relationship lags and this can present a challenge when multiple calendars with different hours per day are in use.

By far the easiest method is to use Primavera SureTrak (if you have access to it) as it allows you to change the option from hourly to daily and save the schedule. If you have multiple calendars with different hours per day, you need to do a careful review.
Philip Jonker
You must export the original and remaining durations, as well the relationships. Export the data to Database (.DBF) format. Once you have copied the program into a day unit program, you need to check the calendars, ie how many hours per day was allowed for every calendar. You need to set up the day calendar in the new schedule. You then need to divide the durations in the file you exported by the number of hours allowed by the calendars. You then need to do the same in the exported relationship file for the lags. Once you have done this import these new durations and lags into the schedule. It sounds a bit complicated, but it is fairly simple. Should you need more help, just ask.

Regards
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Copy the schedule then select the planning unit as days.

Please note this can cause problems so first export your Duration values so you can import them later if any problems.