Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The role of planning in projects

7 replies [Last post]
Lloyd Maforimbo
User offline. Last seen 4 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good afternoon all

I am a mature student who has decided to cross over in to the AEC field from the food industry.  I have no experience as yet in AEC but am hoping to get an opportunity in the planning side of things.

I am considering to have the subject title above as my dissertation topic and would like some help and pointers on resources, case studies etc. Other suggestions for a planning related topic would also be welcome.

Thanking you all in advance. 

Replies

Kathy Castle
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mukakesh,

I recommend you a blog with full of resources related with project planning, scheduling, project management training. You can find various documents, articles and resources there. Articles are not only related with project planning and management but also quality management and examples for network diagrams. You can access from here.

Mukesh Kumar Khatri
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Can any one share with me any presentations, documents, or articles related to planning and Scheduling of large scale projects, infrastructure, or capital projects. please suggest. 

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

Thank you! (I thought you were literally inviting me for a Sunday lunch :) Of course it's difficult as I live in a different continent. However, for sure it will be possible if say for example, you'll make a serious plan for it and be willing to sponsor (in terms of costs). 

Well, as regards the subject (What's the role of Planning in projects?) I believe it is self-explanatory as unless you can do magic, projects will never exist without planning and scheduling (whether or not - good planning).

Planning is really complex as it deals with lots of possibilities, so perhaps there's seldom perfect plan at the very first time. Bad planning I guess will keep the Planner's job anyway (so bad planning is not bad at all for Planners). Planners are hired to solve the problems in projects. 

"Keep on planning" 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Anoon

Have a look at my post - Sunday Lunch which explains basic planning principles.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

IMHO, there's always first time for everything. Cooking and Building may perhaps use similar principles as to first know the recipe and ingredients in order to cook a flavorful dish. Likewise, a certain construction project has its own ingredients or elements in order to build it to the desired purpose. 

Now, the question is: "What is the Role of Planning and Scheduling (in construction projects)?" Well, for me, this is to eliminate the "Trial and Error" process as perhaps you can always do in "Cooking". Of course, considering the most important element of the project which is Cost! 

Therefore, in Construction Planning and Scheduling, it always necessary to have the best Plan and Schedule in place right at the very first time, otherwise, you'll be having problems all the way through the project. 

While in cooking, perhaps some people may prefer "medium rare" than "well done"; in construction, you have to make sure that it is always well done, otherwise, you will never be paid !00% by your client.

Hope this helps! 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 4 min ago. Offline

Knowledge on how to build it is not just activity sequencing, many other requirements are equally important, otherwise you might end up with non-feasible plan. It is not enough to know excavation goes before footings in order to say you know how to build it.  

• You must be able to estimate how much excavation, how much reinforcing steel and how much concrete.  
  • You must be able to determine what incidental activities not explicitly shown in the drawings/specs will be required.  You must be able to determine if shoring will be required.  You must be able to determine if a dewatering system will be required. 
  • You must be able to determine how many concrete pours should be scheduled. 
  • You must be able to calculate manpower and equipment requirements and their combined production rates as a team if work is to be performed as a team working together.
  • You must be able to consider resource constraints as well as any other constraints that might impact the schedule.
  • A planner must know about sequencing (how) and scheduling (when).
  • The schedule is how you communicate your plan; you have no final plan until it is scheduled.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Lloyd - Welcome to Planning Planet

Before you can plan a construction project you have to know how to build it. particularly the sequence of trades and the interface of activities.

Best regards

Mike Testro