Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Required Data from main contractor to EM subcontractor (for planning)

1 reply [Last post]
Rola Sabbah
User offline. Last seen 10 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi every body,

I'm currently working as a planning engineer with Electromechanical subcontractor, this is my first time as subcontractor, now the main contractor is using P6, he send me the schedule he made ,and ask me to update EM works, and he refuses to give the update for the civil or finishing works.

now my question is it his right to ask me to update the schedule he made on behalf of EM subcontractor? and do i have the right to ask him to give me his update? he doesn't even want to give me one month look ahead for civil works to know what to do in EM works!!! even in PDF not primavera.

another question , i want to make internal schedule for EM but i have to insert Civil works right? how do u insert it ? summarized? i'm sure not detailed as civil schedule or do you consider it as milestones??? and how to give my manager one month look ahead if i don't know civil progress? and i f you insert Civil works how do you update it? i mean from where you will get the data of civil works like start date and finish date.

any body who works as planner for EM wroks can you please give me some instructions on how work as a subcontracotr.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

To some extent, it depend on the type & content of your subcontract, but in general it should go like this:

-contractor gives forecast access dates & required completion dates to EM subcontractor during contract negotiations

-EM subcontractor issues a baseline programme adhering to the above

-EM issues regular updates as per contract, maintaining the same access dates unless informed otherwise by contractor, or they pass without being achieved

-In parallel to this, there should be regular site co-ordination meetings so subcontractors know when & where they will be working in the coming weeks, and any changes to sequence / dates can be managed efficiently and quickly.

Q: is it his right to ask me to update the schedule he made on behalf of EM subcontractor?

A: You can do this, but you also need to have your own schedule which should be submitted as well. His schedule may not have the correct level of detail for your purposes, and from what you are saying definitely does not show all the client / main contractor / other subcontracotr deliverables which may delay your work. As such if that is the only programme for your works, you will have difficulty demonstrating EOT entitlements. Update his programme, and also send him your own version, explaining that the updates you have made to his programme, are dependant on the assumptions and requirements detailed in your own schedule.

Q: Do i have the right to ask him to give me his update?

A: Depends on the contract, but typically he is obliged to inform you of any chages to his schedule which may impact your work. This can be by regular schedule updates, minuted progress meetings, or a written statement given only when something has changed. If you get one of this from your contractor, you should note each time you give him an update, that it is based on the assumption that all such deliverables will be achieved as per your submitted schedule.

Q: i want to make internal schedule for EM but i have to insert Civil works right? how do u insert it ? summarized? i'm sure not detailed as civil schedule or do you consider it as milestones??? and how to give my manager one month look ahead if i don't know civil progress? and i f you insert Civil works how do you update it? i mean from where you will get the data of civil works like start date and finish date

A: Insert civil works, and any other such deliverables into your programme as milestones. If you are not recieving any updates on these items, all you can do is assume they remain on target until you hear otherwise, or a date is missed. This is not a very good way of working, so I would ask your PM to lobby the main contractor for better 2-way communications on progress.

Cheers,

G