Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Best Practice : Fabrication (workshop) , Assembling (site) & Civl activities (prior to assemblying at site)

4 replies [Last post]
bilal tirmizi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

I will like to some information on the following situation:

I have  a project that involves fabrication at workshop than this material has to get assembled at site,  before the asseblying the civil works should  be completed.

I have linked assebblying to civil works : Civl works--> F.S-->Assemblying at site

fabrication is linked to assemblying: Fabrication---F.S-->Assemblying

Fabrication is starting with a constrain (start no earlier than a date) , that i fixed at the time of basline adjsting that fabrication was starting with finsih of civil works at site and  the material was coming and getting assembled at site without having need to stock it.

Now in actual my civil works got delayed, which means assmbleying cant start,  but fabrication  process is at same satrting date and if this continues i will have stocks at site. i wnat to see a situtaion that fabrication also gets started late  equal to delay of site avaialbilty to start the assemblying:

what would be best practice in your views

Regards

Replies

Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline

Bilal,

You can also create a milestone SND (Site Need Date). This milestone will be be linked to your civil work readiness (after concrete hardening). It will give your a target of delivery for your equipment.

Like this, you are not oblige at first to assign an ALAP status on your fabrication. You will be able to manage float between your need and your expected delivery.

Regards

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Bilal,

Depending on the software you are using, you may be able to assign an ALAP / as late as posible / zero free float constraint (the same thing, but called something different in different software packages) to the fabrication, instead of an early start constraint.

This type of constraint will schedule the fabrication to start as late as it can safely do so without delaying any of it's sucessors. It is common practise to use them to represent delivery of materials and equipment to site.

As with all constraints, I reccomend you trial it's use on a dummy project of 3 or 4 activities to make sure you understand fully how it works, before applying it to a live project.

emodeye kenneth
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Guys,

Other professional Engineers have handbooks that aid new and not so experienced Engineers, Please is a there a handbook for planning Engineers in the oil and gas sector?

Regards

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Bilal,

I think the bottom line is that you need to evaluate and decide based on the most cost effective scenario, you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Can you delay mobilisation of resources for fabrication without any cost implication? if there is no cost implication then maybe it is your best option. If your resources are already on site then there is no point of delaying the activity unless of course you do not have a storage area, in which case we go to no. 2 below.

2. If you do not have a storage area, then you need to evaluate the cost implication of getting a temporary storage area vs delaying the activity (Resources on Standby) then compare the cost implication.

Regards,

Daniel