Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Mandatory Finish Constraint

5 replies [Last post]
edwin mirana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline

I would like to receive feedback from the experts in regards the following question:

Is it proper to put mandatory finish constraint on the end of contract date (Milestone)?

In my view, the date will not change if you put a constraint on it unless the date go past the data date.

Thanks

Edwin

Replies

Brandon Atkins
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Many project managers and directors in my company like to see the negative float and the contract end date for reference.  I create two finish milestones, one called "forecast finish" and the other "contract finish".  The "contract finish" is constrained as mandatory finish on the date stated in the contract.  The "forecast" milestone is not constrained, but has a FS relationship with the "contract" milestone.  This way you get the true forecast of the CPM plus the negative float when the forecast is beyond the contractual completion date.

edwin mirana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline

Thanks Simon, Rafael and Gary for your feedback. It's an affirmation that we are on the same page.

Regards

Edwin

Simon Willson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Edwin,

I would avoid the use of a constraint altogether for your finish milestone as the schedule is there to provide a forecast of likely project completion.  Adding a constraint will not allow the reported end date to reflect the current forecast.  If the end date is constrained with a hard (finish on / mandatory finish), any reported date will reflect the contractual date however, negative float will wrap around this forecast date and will provide an over run duration. 

Another way of showing both the current forecast of course is to base line the project with the contractual dates.  Allowing free movement of the schedule will provide the current forecast and including a 'variance against project baseline' column in your report will show the build up of negative float. 

I would limit the use of hard constraints for life critical events such as power circuit outages, line posessions or degassing station / oil line shut down.  I tend to only use soft constraints (start / finish on or after, start / finish on or before, as late as possible) sparingly in my schedules and only where it is difficult to hold the activity in place with existing retaining logic.  Finish on or before could be used to highlight a the finish date of a future event and will allow the activity to move and will only become critical when the constrained date is breeched. 

Hope this helps.

Simon

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 10 min ago. Offline

Be careful about mandatory constraints, they are not the same as a finish no latter than constraint.

http://www.warnercon.com/articles/Article%207%20-%20Use%20of%20Milestones%20and%20Constraints.pdf

The mandatory constraint date does not show the effect of late or early completing activities. A normal constraint date would show negative float (behind schedule) if it was late to complete when its predecessor and successor activities had completed, whereas, a mandatory constraint would instead freeze the associated activities from being completed.

I try to avoid any constraint but our contracts frequently require them, even when over 99% of our contracts do not recognize the negative float criticality.

http://www.arcadis-us-pmcm.com/assets/files/PinnacleOne_Criticality_What...

Most schedulers prefer to avoid negative float but Owners on this side of the Atlantic have a urge for displaying negative float. I just toggle them off for my analysis and back on for my reports, the concept creates me some difficulty with the report narrative but at times we have no other option than to deal with the negative float thing, especially difficult when all our jobs are resource leveled and this concept lose all its meaning with regard to resource leveled float.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Some contracts / clients will insist on it, some dissalow them.

other than that, I think it comes down to two fairly basic questions:

1) Do you want your project completion milestone to show you the date the projecy will complete, or the date the project should complete by?

2) Do you want your critical path / Total float to highlight all activities which are delaying project completion, or all activities which must be accelerated to comply with the contractual date?

I prefer the first answer in both cases, so don't use finish constraints.

PS: Another issue is if you have a resource-loaded programme that you use to forecast resource utilisation and / or project cashflow / invoicing, then you need make sure you don't have any hammocks,  level of effort, etc type activities loaded with resources and linked to a constrained completion date. This will give you the wrong data if the project starts to slip.