Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Activity Query- Am getting all activities as a critical activity

7 replies [Last post]
Deepak Gowda
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am new to project planning although i have used P6 3 years ago i have forgotten everything. After long gap i have started scheduling residential villa project , for me all activities coming as a "Critical Activity" ????????? i have linked all activities based on FS logic one after another. like chain link. when i did it years ago i used to get some non critical activities too but now i am getting all activities as a critical activity. Please any one can help me out in this regard. It will be a great help.

Thanks

Deepak

deepak.gowda@hotmail.com

Replies

Miklos Hajdu
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Deepak,

Do I understand well, that you have only one chain (that is one path from the start to the end)  in your network? If it's true (and there are no constraints (even no deadline set to your project), no diferent calendars and no resources with limits) than all activities will be critical. ( with zero total float)

That's one of the basic principles of network technique.

Miklós 

George Archibald
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Deepak,

Try adding an activity with 1 day duration then duplicate the predecessors and successors from an activity that is longer than 8 to 10 days, then check the float on that activity, this will help narrow down the possible problems.

Regards,

George. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Deepak.

It is quite possible that a programme for a single villa will show all critical if there is only one cascade from "Clear Site" to "Final Commission" particularly if you have only FS links.

If you have seperate cascades for say a swimming pool away from the main villa then you should only have 1 critical path.

Check to see if your tasks are positioned ALAP.

Also remove all constraints and then reschedule.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Deepak Gowda

Dear Yasir,

Thnaks a lot for your reply. i din't checked the project must finish date n i tried with the alternative ie longest path as a critical path, still am getting all activities as a critical activity?

regards

deepak

Deepak Gowda

Dear Mukunda,

First of all thanks a lot for your reply. i din't kept my open ended activity as a critical activity. secondly i have selected 2 days of float, if it is less than two days then it will be considered as a critical activity. After all these changes still am getting most activities as a critical activity. don't know why?

regards,

Deepak

Yasir Riaz
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

1. You need to check "Project Must Finish" Date. You need to either leave that blank or correct the finish date (if it is required as per contract).

2. When you schedule (or press F9) click on option and check what is the option selected for critical path. Ideally It should Longest Path.

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Deepak,, 

whats ur float limitation?

are u setting open ended activities as critical ?

Regards
Mukunda