Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Do you think this is a proper way to update a schedule?

6 replies [Last post]
Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Recently, a colleague sent me the link to this game:

http://thatpmgame.com/

Is this really how Project Managers from around the world are updating their schedules?

I think that if an activity in the critical path is not being advanced as planned, the schedule update should show the impact on  the finish milestone.

What do you think?

Replies

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Nope. That is just a game.

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

The activities without predecessors or successors are also a common error, but most errors during the schedule creation phase could be avoided if the schedule team had clear how will the schedule update and what will be its behavior.

It would be good if there existed an animation showing how will the schedule behave when it is updated.  It would help us schedulers to explain why the links are as important as the bars.

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi all planners,

I am quite new in planning. In P3 it was not difficult for me to get the cash flow, please don’t make a joke of me, but in P6 I am not able to get cash flow even after a year working on P6. Please give some hints or advice.

Tanveer

Hi Trevor,

I did not blame the tool. I just wrote that MS Project supported this approach to project tracking and this is one of the reasons why it still exists. The way of tracking does not mean that original plan is wrong (or right). I understood the question as the question on project tracking and control methodology.

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Vlad, let's assign the blame to the people who don't bother to understand the tool or use it properly, rather than the tool.

Ok, so it is very wrong in many ways. The original plan is wrong and so also is everything to do with the tracking. Let's discuss why.

Carlos,

this approach is certainly wrong but supported by MS Project.