Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CPM---Critical Path Method

3 replies [Last post]
Sunny Chang
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all.
I am in a puzzle about the CPM for a long time. I think all of us who do the planning work are using this way in planning control. But what is the realy mean about CPM? Is there any systematized definition for it? I wish some one can give me away to get out.
Regards.
Chang

Replies

Sunny Chang
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rodel,
Thanks for explaining, it is perfect.
Regards.
Chang
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 44 min ago. Offline
Sunny,
WikiPedia:
The critical path method (CPM) is a mathematically based algorithm for scheduling a set of project activities. It is an important tool for effective project management.

The Critical Path Method (CPM) is a project modeling technique developed in the late 1950s by Morgan R. Walker of DuPont and James E. Kelley, Jr. of Remington Rand. Kelley and Walker related their memories of the development of CPM in 1989. Kelley attributed the term "critical path" to the developers of the Program Evaluation and Review Technique which was developed at about the same time by Booz Allen Hamilton and the US Navy. The precursors of what came to be known as Critical Path were developed and put into practice by DuPont between 1940 and 1943 and contributed to the success of the Manhattan Project.

CPM is commonly used with all forms of projects, including construction, aerospace and defense, software development, research projects, product development, engineering, and plant maintenance, among others. Any project with interdependent activities can apply this method of mathematical analysis. Although the original CPM program and approach is no longer used, the term is generally applied to any approach used to analyze a project network logic diagram.

Below link is a good reading reference:
Critical Path Method
CPM notes (ToodHeadon)
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sunny,

We had a discussion a while back about Scheduling

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=15&Top=71314

Maybe you it would be of some interest to you.

With kind regards,

Samer