Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

at what level you track actual manhour

11 replies [Last post]
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
hi all

of course actual manhour must be tracked against baseline activities.
but it seems in the case of huge project,many companies track the resource usage at upper level, like wbs, or some kind of grouping by cost account.

please can you share your experience on that.

best regards

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 47 min ago. Offline
Vladimir,

100% agree.

From my prior posting;

*** “If you want a good budget (estimation) and control over your costs. You need to monitor unit costs.”
Agree – The problem is many forgot about it, all you need is to add are production quantities, is that simple.

I was referring to timesheet data, these are data entry forms; of course production is associated to a time frame, but not a daily time frame. We usually record production on a weekly basis; using another form, while time sheets on a daily basis. Our reports provide you with weekly cost and production data as well as accumulated cost and production data so we can track trends.

http://rapidshare.com/files/269181396/Job_Costing_for_Construction.pdf

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael,
you wrote:
“data entry is performed using the same timesheet, only once”

We are used to different kind of reports. Not timesheets but quantities that were done and materials consumed. These quantities are confirmed later and only confirmed data go the accounting system.

The reports shall include not only time data but also quantities (volumes) of work that were done, materials consumed, money spent. Look at Spider monitoring report. And these data shall later be confirmed by the documents that are used in accounting.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rafael,

Thank you for your valuable reply to the topic.

Regards,

Safak
Rafael Davila
*** “In any project management cost control shall be distinguished from accounting.”
Agree – in any well designed Job Cost Software they are kept separate, just that data entry is performed using the same timesheet, only once, just add to your timesheet a row for accounting codes, the same for accounting purposes, a row for Job/Cost accounts. The system then will transfer appropriate data to accounting system and to project management cost control / technical cost control; there shall be no issue on keeping separate account breakdown, on the contrary.

*** “You cannot control a project on a PC”
Agree/Disagree – Agree with regard to Management Controls, as defined by the late HBS Professor Robert D Anthony, disagree with regard to Technical Control. I do not see why not if you keep the distinction between the control systems; just make the appropriate distribution and transfer of data.
http://maaw.info/ArticleSummaries/ArtSumAnthony64.htm
http://www.hbs.edu/news/releases/120506_anthonyobit.html
“For example, attempts to substitute technical control (e.g., computers) for management control do not work.”

*** “Project controls over construction projects are becoming a nightmare.”
Agree – They are being abused and designed by incapable/inexperienced people.

*** “If you want a good budget (estimation) and control over your costs. You need to monitor unit costs.”
Agree – The problem is many forgot about it, all you need is to add are production quantities, is that simple.

*** “But accounting data are always late for timely management decisions.”
Agree/Disagree – In most jobs (over 95%) accounting data is late, this is due to managerial accounting systems, you can enter accounting and job cost data as soon as they occur, you can enter materials into the system if using purchase orders to do this. Even the use of “dummy” purchase orders can be and should be used. For example your concrete deliveries can be entered into the system with dummies purchase orders as soon as they become accrued. If you integrate data entry it can be done, I have seen few examples of this in practice from a couple of small contractors, with the use of computers this can be done, and it is not hard to do.
Safak Vural
Dear Vladimir,

I need to make a clarification, "That" is my statement about the latest products of that company not theirs. I am at the beginning of the road for project controls that i dont want to discuss about that subjects in a open forum. Due to that fact I add a note to my post.

I am following your articles and software also. I am willing to discuss about project controls after few years with papers or articles in/from a society(ies) I hope.

Regards,

Safak Vural

P.S. Other note: I like the conversations about that subjects on this forum. Improve everywhere!
Hi Safak,
I don’t agree with Primavera statement that “You cannot control a project on a PC”. I know a lot of examples of controlling project direct costs in Spider Project. Indirect costs are usually calculated as the percent of direct costs.
And I don’t agree that construction projects are different from all other projects. Shipbuilding, manufacturing, aerospace, mining - many industries use the same approaches and meet the same problems and risks.
In any project management cost control shall be distinguished from accounting. And the data of both shall be regularly compared. But accounting data are always late for timely management decisions.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Safak Vural
Dear Rafael,

I am working with a major CONTRACTOR side holding which is also processing in Turkey stock. There are bunch of detailed procedures for internal reporting and archiving due to regulations rising from stock. We were having audits internally and by international auditors periodically. We are preparing detailed budgets and monitoring costs in detail. I also involved in the cost controlling process for a small project where the situation demands my involvement.

Construction projects are different from all other projects in definition and reality according to me. Due to achieving major works in a restricted and short time period. Project controls over construction projects are becoming a nightmare. Especially PMs from construction methodology and site people is being a major reason for missed deadlines or negative balance in costs.

Cost control will be over a planned budget and actual according to breakdowns which determined by company itself. Budget is also a primary resource to judge PMs performance according to me. If you want a good budget (estimation) and control over your costs. You need to monitor unit costs. For construction works, the data is coming directly from planning. If you cost department is preparing budget without planning, QS, estimation … they will suffer in their first yearly closure.

Enterprise solutions and data management are key items for project controls. Due to this fact, “PRIMAVERA®” who starts as “Project Controls on a PC”, is now changing to “You cannot control a project on a PC”.

Regards,

Safak VURAL

P.S. This post only a personal opinion not a discussion.
Rafael Davila
"You need to monitor unit costs."

Safak, lately I have seen self proclaimed "Job Costing Systems" that do not monitor production, that only monitor cost against a budget, it is bare bones Budgeting not Job Costing. We need a few of you at home.
Safak Vural
Dear Planners,

My first sentence about that subject will be a global and non-solution answer: “Monitor actual manhours at the level you can manage”.

Previous project I worked we have a detailed and good structured “Personnel Time Recording Database”. We were monitoring the actual manhours for each badge ID , name of worker, discipline, trade, nationality……………., per each activity in the schedules (over 15,000 activities for several projects with total 25 million direct manhours) and variation numbers, site instruction numbers or weather downtimes etc. on daily basis. Personnel and site construction departments fully involved in the process and we can make system running for 2000 personnel with 3 timekeepers under my supervision.

Anytime I want I can recall which crew, which trades (or who?) worked on a single equipment foundation when and how much, how much labour cost for me and how much I charge my client etc…… The list will be longer. Sounds great?

Now I am working in a project where actual manhours recorded not detailed as above and these manhours supporting the technical office are not enough detailed, structured and correct. I am trying to sell a process like my previous project to my management but it is in the self right now. It is so hard to integrate site, personnel department and technical office (also cost).

After story part, let’s come to the part of the SETUP. If you want to have a system as I mentioned above you need to convince the PM. Personnel Department, and Construction People must involve in this. You will have resistance because everybody is doing their job perfect and nobody wants other departments to involve in their business. If you have all support and an integrated approach to the process you can start work.

The best way to collect manhours is per activities in the schedule. There are few hints for this:
1. Involve the construction people with the schedule and weekly, monthly updates (you shall do it for all project control items also)
2. Make your activity ID’s from activity codes as:
KDEXCAF001 – Project K Area D Work EXCA(Excavation) for F001(Foundation 1) instead of something like “C00123”
3. Prepare a activity list in excel-word etc. with detailed activity description, maybe you can mark some of them in the layouts. This will help site to record activities correctly.
4. Make construction people INVOLVE in schedule and process. Make them use this (for example after a low progress, you can give a weekly detailed activities worked and crews per activities to CM and prepare an explanation for low productivity). INVOLVEMENT – COMMINTMENT, COMMITMENT INVOLVEMENT.
5. Track a list of active activities and close access of timekeepers to access non-active activities. When a timesheet come with a wrong activity ID, make the responsible engineer to correct it quickly.

You need to monitor unit costs and performance; this data will be a savior for future projects or rebaselines. For our latest 9 project packages our P.F. for construction manhours is 95.6% because we have a database about what we are doing on that area.

For the last if you have the weight to involve Personnel Department in the system. You can monitor the personnel movement quickly and everybody will be more careful and committed to time recording because salaries are at hand.

I can continue to write for pages put I will keep it for another subject.

Regards,

Safak Vural

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear M.

If you have a large quantity of one item, say CMU as per the example of Rafael, we would manage the cost and report it directly to upper management as part of the supervisors task.

For a 50,000 CMU blocks required on a project in different areas, we had the 4 supervisors, 1 head supervisor, 30 masons and 50-75 labours, 12 electrical mixers, 1 mobile crane. The daily production rate was managed by the supervisors, and they had the liberty to give incentives to masons that achieved a higher production rate

The cost of per CMU type per BOQ item was managed and profit was monitored and achieved using excel sheets.

With kind regards,

Samer
Rafael Davila
If you have CMU installation in 10 areas of a job, this might mean at 10 different WBS. The same goes for the installation of 50 lighting fixture types on your BOQ, if a single WBS per BOQ in 10 different areas might add up to 500 different WBS versus maybe one or two Job Cost accounts.

Tracking costs on a per activity basis can exponentially add to the amount of items to track, I believe unnecessary. Better use Cost accounts in a way makes sense and distribute on the Schedule at a higher level. At home we do not track costs using the CPM, we use the Job Costing features within our financial systems, and many do not even have a formal Job Costing System.

Your Company got to make a decision on how much effort is going to invest as more and more detail creates more burdens on your supervisors, it takes time, it cost money. Of course there is not a better truth than the argument than a very simple costing system is better than nothing. Nothing is definitively not acceptable, too much of it kills the purpose and can even be counterproductive, keep the balance.

I would go for the upper level, and keep the details within the Job Costing System.