Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Path and Schedule Constraints

2 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 27 min ago. Offline
When I want to see a single critical path I can easily eliminate the must finish date for this purposes, is just one location, one date. The problem is when you have intermediate Date Constraints.

I find somewhat difficult to analyze my network when it shows different values of negative float and identifies all as critical. The software should allow you to set a target date for these milestones so you can get a measure of Terminal Float(s) identified by which target date is used to compute this terminal float.

At times I believe CPM specifications should discourage the use of Date Constraints, including contractual dates and the Must Finish Date.

Are you comfortable with specifications requiring the use of a Must Finish Date and in addition a few constrained milestones?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 27 min ago. Offline
Samer

Of course you need to represent your Contractual requirements, no question about it. Constraints hide logic, my point is that you can show Contractual requirement somewhere else. Use of baselines to me is not enough you should be able to see some parameters that tell you where you are in relation to your constraints but without hiding logic. Constraints make float somewhat useless.

At times even when working with my own schedules the contractual constraints do not let me see the logic, especially after updating when you get different values of negative float. It is an issue that has been discussed before with regard to float. I did created a new pasting as to keep focus on my concern with regard to constraints, the cause not the symptoms, perhaps this is the key.

Critical Path and Negative Float
Total Float
Critics Can’t Find the Logic in Many of Today’s CPM Schedules
Managing Multiple Milestones
Longest Path Value (to the Rescue)
Making CPM More Transparent

Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rafael,

You need to represent your Contractual requirements. If you have a mall and you want to open up before Christmas, then you need to hand over the works before the 1st of December or you will miss the buying power of the season and all your customers will default on their contracts.

On the other hand, the majority of the Contracts do not have a MUST FINISH by date.

With kind regards,

Samer