Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Management Smoothing and Levelling

3 replies [Last post]
James Quirk
User offline. Last seen 14 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone confirm my understanding of the resource management process?

My view is that if you can not increase the level of resource/extend working hours or split tasks... you should always try and smooth your programme (i.e keep your end date through using all available float) however, if resource constraints remain then you level the programme which will give you more time to complete the tasks.

I have a fiver riding on this so any help would be apprciated

Thanks in advance

Replies

James Quirk
User offline. Last seen 14 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks Omar!
Omar Grant
User offline. Last seen 15 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James - as a person who has never trusted software resource levelling algorithms my methos is to set up the gantt chart with the resource histo’s below and the free float column open. I then move tasks around within their free float to try to level out any peaks; moving within total float I am very wary of as it applies to a path of activities. To be honest, in my experience, if there is no easy solution to getting rid of massive peaks because of minimum float available then it points to too tight a schedule anyway,

cheers,

Omar
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear James,

I would suggest that you search on the net for the case that you want to know more about. There are plenty of sites that provide this kind of information.

Best,

Samer