Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Original Lag

11 replies [Last post]
Ahmed Elkordy
User offline. Last seen 15 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello

I have a question and I hope i get help.

I have an activity, which is FCU supply..the payment condition for its delivery is 25% down payment and 75% after one month from delivery, means i need to expand resource usage one month AFTER the activity has finished.
Any help? I’m using P6.

What i did was divide the two payments into two resources, one with a curve that is 100% front loaded and budgeted quantity of 0.25 units, and the other 100% back loaded and with a budgeted quantity of 0.75 units but when I set original lag to 1 month for the 2nd resource, the activity finish date is delayed by 1 month too, which i don’t want to happen.

Please share your advice
thank you

Replies

Ahmed Elkordy
i love you man
it worked
and i don’t even have to do it before i add the activity :] YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Ahmad, I think I figured it out
Go to the project details, Resource Tab, uncheck the "Drive activity details by default" BEFORE you add the activity.
Add the activity, change the duration (45) then add the resource twice. The first resource: OD = 1 Lag = 1, the second resoruce OD = 1, lag = 75. I think this will work.
waiting ur response ;)
Ahmed Elkordy
it changes directly not after scheduling.
here’s the thing the activity duration is 45 days so i set the resource duration to 1 or 0 days i don’t remember and set the lag to 75 days (it’s supposed to happen 1 month after the activity has finished), and what happens is the activity finish date is delayed by one month...on the spot, no scheduling.
you say it went well with you??
Ali Farhat
Hey Ahmed, you recognize the delay in finish date when you are updating the schedule? or during planning. and does it change directly or after scheduling
Ali Farhat
hehehehe...you beat me
i ran a similar scenario yesterday and it worked. i will work on it later and try to find an answer.
regards,
Ahmed Elkordy
It is task dependent and the duration is fixed, i still don’t know where the problem is.
Thanks
Ali Farhat
Ahmed, make sure the activity type is task dependent and not resource dependent, and duration is fixed.
Ahmed Elkordy
Thank you all for your replies

Shahzad and Jose - I tried this method before in a previous project, it doesn’t appeal to me..it looks unprofessional, however, it seems like the only way.

Ali - Unfortunately no this doesn’t solve the problem, still the activity always seems to take the durations of the resources.

I’m still working on it, i know there must be a decent way of doing it.
Thanks again
Ali Farhat
Hi Ahmad and all,
I hope this solves your problem,
First enable the project to add the same resource more than once to an activity: in the project details, resource tab
Second Make sure thar the resource in reference does not allow "Auto compute actuals": the resource window, details tab
Third Change the percent complete type of the activity to physical

Now add the resource twice to the activity,25% of your budgeted units for the first and 75% for the second
Set the resource original durations for both as 1 day
Set the resource original lag for the first as 0 and for the second resource as 30 days.
Check the distribution of resources in the resource assignment window..
I assume this would work.

Please note that you have to update manually the actual units of your resources.
José Reis
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ahmed Elkordy!

The Shahzad Sikandar wrote well, is a way to you to resolve your problem. Now I will like that make any question to you, maybe there is other way to resolve.

1º) Do you use other types of the cost like Nonlabor; Material or Expense?

2º)What "% Complete Type" you use to the tasks?

A hug!
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
what you can do is add another 1 day activity, give that a one month lag and assigned 75% of the cost or resource to that activity.

i hope this is ok.

if not please correct me.

thanks
shahzad