Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

resource leveling

14 replies [Last post]
abdesalam obeidat
User offline. Last seen 8 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
hello everyone,
I am facing a problem in resource leveling, anybody has idea what could be the reason.

thanx
abdesalam

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Diether, thank you so much..

Mike, thanks for the advice.

I really appreciate you guys.

Arnold
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 days ago. Offline
Arnold
Just try it!
Dieter
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Arnold

The situation where a planner has to choose between his professional integrity and his job has been discussed in this forum before.

It is always a tough call - some planners can just bite their lip and continue producing the rubbish required by the PM.

My suggestion - for the time being - is to do your job properly and then ask your PM what changes he will make to the circumstances on the ground before you change the programme.

I was recently hired to do a delay analysis on a power station under construction.

The project manager told me how he wanted the alanysis done. I told him why it would not succeed. He said I am paying you so you do it my way or not at all. I said I preferred the latter option and left. I am still waiting to get paid.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy
Diether,

I don’t know. This is just my opinion. Perhaps I can not meet your requirements.

Arnold
Dieter Wambach
Arnold

WHY?

Arnold Puy

Thanks Anoon for the suggestion, that’s a good idea. But I think Diether will reject me. hehe..

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Arnold,

Don’t be afraid to lose your job, you should be afraid if you lose your Plan!

I suggest you send your resume to Diether.
Arnold Puy
Hi Diether,

I tried everything I could. However, I cannot do anything. I need to follow Manager’s instruction otherwise, I will lose my job. I am just following orders from them. I know what you mean Diether.

Thanks.

Arnold
Dieter Wambach
Arnold
Is this PM one of those who want to see their wishes in the schedule but not reality? What’s the site manager’s opinion - or person responsible for resource?
Regards
Dieter
Arnold Puy
Hi,

Thanks Diether, but I already showed him the Overallocation but still he is not convinced due to the late finish date. I tried to adjust the max units/time according to what his requirement. Likewise, I explained further regarding the process of determining & minimizing the effect of resource leveling.

Regards,

Arnold
Dieter Wambach
Arnold
Show the resource histogram. The red colour will be rather impressive.
Regards
Dieter
Arnold Puy
Hi,

I agree with you Mike, just now my Manager asked me to make a resource leveling, when he saw the result of values & histogram he was not convinced because the software shows need to finish later than the expected depending on the max units/time.

Regards

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Abdesalam

You should never allow the software to do a resource levelling excercise for you - it will always give distorted results.

Set up your chart so that it is over the labour histogramme.

Set up the columns to show resource allocation and available float.

Save the file in a new name.

Now you can have a great time adjusting gang sizes against float and watching the histogram change.

It is a bit like playing a Beethoven Piano piece with a co-ordinated light show - and very satisfying when it comes out right.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Arnold Puy