Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Which better? 7 Day Calendar or 5 Day/working day Calendar for HIGH LEVEL 2 PAGE Design Build type schedule?

3 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 18 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Which better? 7 Day Calendar or 5 Day/working day Calendar for HIGH LEVEL 2 PAGE Design Build type schedule?
- This is working on the assumption that when you want to keep it basic and high level that you don't want to mix calendars at that point because then you have to add a calendar column etc.  I think the 7 day calendar is better for this type of schedule, but want your opinion.

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Call me old- fashioned, but I think each of the working weeks used on a project by staff, should be reflected in calendars. I hardly ever work with a single calendar. Most I have seen in one portfolio is thirty-something, it was a four-continent job, with manufacturing plants running a variety of shift patterns in each country. Yes, it is complex, that is why they need us! I think P6 does a better job than P3. The hours/days issue is much better handled. In your example a client review calendar would have seven working days, even if the jobs that lead up to it are on a five-day calendar.
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 18 hours ago. Offline

For a construction schedule I would use 5 or 6 day or mixed calendar if that is what they are working, but for a multi-year engineering I was leaning towards the 7 day calendar - and just noting it that way.  At one of my last clients, I saw more planning & design schedules on 7 day schedules - I am not sure why but I kind of liked it, left the micromanagement to the PMs.  When someone says 30 days I think "a month".  365 a year.   And one of the most common specs out there is "21 Day Owner Review", which is 3 weeks.  I know we all like to avoid it but claims are always in Calendar Days also.  I would like to avoid mixed calendars - that tends too confuse the critical path and makes for float decimal complications, I don't think those were as much an issue in p3, a hassle in p6.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

using a 7 day calendar gives a flase indicaton of duration I would not do this