Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to indicate Physical percent completed in Group bar

9 replies [Last post]
Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 2 days 17 hours ago. Offline

Hi everyone,

In my turnaround project, I chose the percent completed type is physical percent completed, but the problem I faced was that percent can not show at WBS or total bar as well. Can you advise me how slove this problem?

Thanks alot.

Viet Tran.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline

I expect turnaround projects to be scheduled using multiple shifts; my emphasis would be to keep a good model that can consider multiple shifts on same activity.  Splitting the activity into multiple ones would add chaos on turnaround projects where updating must be frequent and there is no time for guessing how work is to be re-distributed among different shifts on same activity.

Because turnaround projects move so fast, things might change fast.  We need to capture the changes ASAP and make adjustments in our coordination to get right people and materials in place at the right time. There is not much time to make manual adjustments; we need to get it right and fast.

Rafael Davila

If you want to add more into the mixture of %Complete definitions you might define %Duration Complete as [Actual Duration/Baseline_Cumulative_Duration] X100. 

Old P3 would allow you to define Cost%Complete as wll as Effort%Complete based on either current schedule or one of two comparison baselines and show these values on the S-Curves instead of the numeric values. This might allow for %Complete be over 100%. Please take a look at the following figure.

Complete-Actual-vs-Baseline-Values

I have a preference on using values where there is no room for confusion or ambiguity. 

With numeric values along with some unit of measure you get more complete and meaningful information, it is better than some ratio; to say 100$ out of 300$ or 30$ out of 90$ gives you more information than to say 33%. If someone is interested in in whatever definition of %Complete to use then with Excel any ratio or % as well as the corresponding %S-Curves can be generated.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

in the gantt araea right click and select bars on the left hand side look fo the Name entitled current bar label

then select the Bar Labels Tab and at the bottom select add and then select the position of where you want your percent shown then under the label select any type of percent that you want to show.

Rafael Davila
Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
I suggest you use the Duration % for turnaround project.
Rafael Davila

There is not a single number that will tell you all.  I would suggest tracking project duration and effort.  Tracking many other parameters might be too much for turnaround projects .

Unfortunately P6 %Duration is counter-intuitive and can be misleading.

https://www.planacademy.com/primavera-p6-duration-percent-complete-guide/

1. - "If you would like to have the intuitive Duration % Complete (for any reason), you can create a global change to set the Original Durations of in-progress activities. The following figure shows the appropriate global change setup."...
  2. Well on my part I see no reason at all to use non-intuitive formula.
  3. Just remember to keep global change current.

I use different software. Take a look at the following figure %Duration and %Effort are different.  If at gunpoint asked to select a single %Complete figure I would pick Intuitive %Duration for turnaround projects where main focus is on project duration.

Activity-Gantt-Percent-Complete-A-4-Complete-Typespng-Page

With old software such as Primavera SureTrak  %Complete was related to duration, unfortunately formula and roll up was not intuitive. This I see as a reminder of how important time element is in scheduling, as our contracts say "time is of the essence". 

Sure-Trak-Completepng-Page1

Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 2 days 17 hours ago. Offline

Thanks Refael and Raymund for your respond,

Agree with you that Physical percent is separated between remaining duration and physical work achieved, so It does not "roll up" or summarize at the WBS level.

But as you know, when the manager looks at the schedule, they shall first look at the actual percent and plan percent to see the deviation, and the detail maybe later. So, ok, I will try with Performance % compelete as mentioned by Raymund.

@By the way, can you advise  me how the choose the correct percent complete for Turnaround schedule?

Many thanks,

Rafael Davila

Rolling-up Physical % Complete only makes sense for common parameters.

• Oranges and apples do not mix, an orange is not the same as an apple.
  • An activity can include several work volume parameters. They can be summarized at the activity level as well as at the group bars under separate fields.
  • Note that at any given point the percentages for different parameters can be different, please take a look to Activity 5.

Activity-Gantt-Percent-Complete-A-4-Complete-Typespng-Page

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Viet,

Roll up Sum will be shown in the Performance % Complete Column if the Schedule is Cost Loaded.

Hope this will help.