Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

2 week look ahead

8 replies [Last post]
Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am attempting to make a filter for a 2 week look ahead that shows the tasks and bars that are scheduled to be worked on during the 2 weeks.   They may be start dates that equal the dd+2 weeks or in progress tasks or ones with resume dates that match the dd+2 weeks.  I seem be able to use these in the filter but end up lossing some tasks  or gaining some while rearranging the filter.

The Inprogress tasks seem to be the ones that add the task bar outside the 2 week window.  Anyone out there got the secret formula or the easter egg.

Happy easter all 

Thanks for the help in advance

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

then do not filter for activitiy status equal in progress

Ron Beechey

Steve

Correct all the tasks that I want to see are those in the 2 weeks from the DD what are planned to start or continue.   I have run the DD + 2 weeks and in Progress and checked it against the formula that you suggested and it does eliminate the extra tasks that show up against the in progress  tasks.   It just makes a cleaner view.     What I am pushing our people for is to be aware and plan to execute a DD+1 week to DD+3 weeks.   We only started reporting to the client the 2 week look ahead and our ability to execute against that because we were not proforming well.    Once we get the trust that we can do what we say then I believe we can report against major milestones and the slip and gains from those. 

ANyway this filter works great and thanks to both for your help.   

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 3 hours ago. Offline

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17266_01/p6help/help/en/helpmain.htm?toc.htm?43145.htm

What if preserve early and late dates options is selected?

• If you mark this option, the project’s current early dates are retained before leveling.
  • If you clear this option, the application also performs backward leveling.  When the schedule is leveled forward and backward (by clearing the option) the project’s early and late start/finish dates are updated.
  1. What will each filter show if the schedule is resource leveled?  
  2. Is one a safer option over the other?
  • The filter should use current leveled schedule dates, not the dates prior to resource leveling. 
  • If some settings can bypass the requirement for filter to show lookahead for leveled schedule activities then it is unreliable. 
Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Zoltan,

Using the Remaining Early Start will show the In Progress Activities with the following exceptions:

• Activities that have Suspend & Resume Dates, where the Resume Date is outside of the selected date range.
  • Out of Sequence Activities where Retained Logic is used & the Remaining Early Start is outside of the selected date range.

If an activity is in Progress, then the Remaining Early Start is usually equal to the Data Date except in the cases above.

If an activity is complete, then the Remaining Early Start & Remaining Early Finish will both be equal to the Data Date & as the Remaining Actual Finish Date will be Equal to the Data Date then it will not show, as it needs to be Greater than the Data Date.

Ron's request was to hide the In Progress Activities that were not due in the DD -> DD+2W Period, which is what the filter provides.

Regards,

Steven

Zoltan Palffy

not using in progress in the filter doe snot show any work that is going thru the 2 week period

Ron Beechey

Thanks for the tips and using the filter from Steven I got the info that I needed without the in Progress tasks that are after the 2 weeks.   

Thanks guys as I find this group so helpful.  Makes for a much cleaner report to review with management.   And only 5 pages instead of 8 

Zoltan Palffy

filter any

where start is within the range DD (low value) DD+2w (high value)

or

finish within the range DD (low value) DD+2w (high value)

or 

activitiy status equal in progress

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Ron,

Try the following filter:

(All of the following)

Where Remaining Early Start is less than or equals DD+2W

And Remaining Early Finish is greater than or equals DD

Regards,

Steven