Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP XML file will not import to P6 despite being correctly formatted

11 replies [Last post]
Stacey Adams
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone can help.

I have managed to import several msp files (after converting them to xml) into P6 Professional 16.2 (EPPM). However, I've got four project files that just will not import. It gets to 50% and then drops out. Error message "job did not complete successfully".

There are no blank cells or links to summary bars in the msp files. The WBS has been correctly formatted and does not contain any gaps. The project summary bar is switched off and all of the projects have been properly aligned.

I am at my wits end trying to understand why these files won't import. Any ideas? All help gratefully received!

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

when she says codes I think she means things like a wbs code or somthing not TRUE coding 

Joel Keen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply. I was just asking where the option to select Code or Coding is as when i right click above the numbers on the left handside this does not come up as an option in MSP

Zoltan Palffy

Joel She Said

resolved this issue last week. There were lines of hidden coding in the MSP files which were preventing the import. I'm guessing that these would have prevented an MPX import too. Anyone having issues in the future try right clicking above the numbering on the lefthand side, select coding and delete the codes. Don't delete the columns - just the code and then it should import fine.

Joel Keen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Stacey, I'm experiencing a similar problem at the moment, could you elaborate on how you fixed it please as i cant seem to find the coding tab you mention anywhere!!

Thanks

Zoltan Palffy

above what number the line number. It just opens the detail for the activity. Are you refering to the Custom Fields tab ?

Stacey Adams

Hi guys,

I've receievd a few PM's on this so thought I'd provide an update. I actually resolved this issue last week. There were lines of hidden coding in the MSP files which were preventing the import. I'm guessing that these would have prevented an MPX import too. Anyone having issues in the future try right clicking above the numbering on the lefthand side, select coding and delete the codes. Don't delete the columns - just the code and then it should import fine.

Zoltan Palffy

I sent you an email her check it 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

Stacey,

Collabro's Legare always works.  It converts anything, even MSP, to P6.

Stacey Adams

Could you reccommend any conversion tools for converting msp to mpx?

Stacey Adams

Hi Zoltan

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have the option to save as an mpx file only xml.

Zoltan Palffy

as a work around save these as mpp then convert the mpp to an mpx and then import the mpx inot p6