Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Stop activity splitting over a non-working period

12 replies [Last post]
Al MacLeod
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I have an activity 4hrs in duration that needs to be completed within one working period (08hrs - 17hrs). Currently I have it on a calendar with non-working time (17hrs - 08hrs). If the activity starts too late (say at 15hrs on day one) it is split over the non-working period and completed in the second day at 10hrs. How do I stop the activity starting on the first day and moving it so that it starts and finishes (08hrs to 12hrs) on the second day.

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Gosh, Al, given that there is a four-year gap in this thread’s activities, does that count as ‘suspend/resume’? As we all know, P6’s mathematics isn’t very good. Indeed, it has the worst algorithms of any project management system I have used in a production environment. I specify ‘production environment’ because: 1) I have never used Microsoft Project in a production environment 2) I have tested ‘P6 Cloud’ I continue to be amazed that planners use a planning system that cannot control splitable activities. I had perfectly good control with Project 2 and K&H in the 1970s. But enough therapeutic ventilating. My current ‘best’ solution for this is to add a predecessor for each ‘un-splitable’ activity which is one hour long, and needs a dummy resource which is only available in your example from 08:00 to 09:00 and from 13:00 to 14:00. Then level. Four years ago, I thought I had a solution that placed the same dummy resource on only period one of the un-splitable activity, but the P6 levelling is incredibly unreliable if you have resource lag and duration specified in an activity. I got some lucky results, but just far too flaky to use. Of course, you can easily filter out the predecessors when printing. You will find entering the resource dictionary very time-consuming. It would be amusing to compare the cost of entering the resource dictionary at your current rate with the cost of Spider Project………
David Kelly
Gosh, Al, given that there is a four-year gap in this thread’s activities, does that count as ‘suspend/resume’? As we all know, P6’s mathematics isn’t very good. Indeed, it has the worst algorithms of any project management system I have used in a production environment. I specify ‘production environment’ because: 1) I have never used Microsoft Project in a production environment 2) I have tested ‘P6 Cloud’ I continue to be amazed that planners use a planning system that cannot control splitable activities. I had perfectly good control with Project 2 and K&H in the 1970s. But enough therapeutic ventilating. My current ‘best’ solution for this is to add a predecessor for each ‘un-splitable’ activity which is one hour long, and needs a dummy resource which is only available in your example from 08:00 to 09:00 and from 13:00 to 14:00. Then level. Four years ago, I thought I had a solution that placed the same dummy resource on only period one of the un-splitable activity, but the P6 levelling is incredibly unreliable if you have resource lag and duration specified in an activity. I got some lucky results, but just far too flaky to use. Of course, you can easily filter out the predecessors when printing. You will find entering the resource dictionary very time-consuming. It would be amusing to compare the cost of entering the resource dictionary at your current rate with the cost of Spider Project………
Al MacLeod

Hi David,

I have tried creating the calendar for a resource with the buffer time as non working. I have set the activity to resource dependant and levelled the resource.

When the activity starts at 12:00 it shows 2 hours work then 2 hours then next day. I need it to show all 4 hours then next day.

Is there something im missing?

Thanks

Al

Thank you David!

I am really interested in the solutions that you suggest.

And please explain why your initial proposal works despite the time after 13:00 is non-working for assigned resource.

By the way in Spider Project an activity is splittable if assigned resource may be temporarily moved to activity with higher priority or if splitting improves project schedule. An activity is continious if it shall finish before work day end. So splittable (or not) and continuous (or not) are different activity properties.

Best Regards,

VL

David Kelly

Vladimir,

Not forgotten. My leveling solution does work, but I may have found a simpler one. It's still ugly compared to being able to define an activity as "un-splittable". I shall revert after this wonderful week-end. Glasgow where I currently live is hotter and sunnier than it has been for more than a hunderd years.

D

David Kelly

Vladimir,

Let me use my fingers to count on. This is an important skill for Primavera users.

My fingers have let me down, I can't map 12:59hrs to a finger. I shall start P6........

David,

an activity can be scheduled to start on 12:00 and to finish on 16:00. With your solution an activity will be delayed and will start only on 08:00 next day. This delay is not required.

I expect that P6 does not plan activity execution on resource non-working time (after 13:00) but let me know if I am wrong. There are many amazing features in P6.

David Kelly

Al,

The activities must start between 08:00 and 13:00 in order to complete the same day. So this is a "resource levelling" task.

You need a dummy resource that is only available for those hours of the day, and you level (perhaps ONLY this resource if you do not normally level) against an avvailability that only runs from 08:00 to 13:00.

Ugly, but it works.

Have fun.

david

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

then make seperate activities 

This functionality exists only in Spider Project.

Al MacLeod

Hi,

Suspend and resume only work when you are progressing an activity. I want to be able to schedule my plan and see the activities in the future in the correct working periods and not split. I have a series of these activities that i do not want split.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

use Suspend and resume