Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Logic driven by Early Dates

5 replies [Last post]
Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is there a setting to change to stop the logic being driven by the early dates? When I complete an activity the next activity then changes depending on what the early date is. 

Can this be changed? I need my plan to be driven by actual dates and not early dates.

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

glad I could help

Emma Lang

Hi Zoltan, 

Once I found the correct setting in Schedule > Options it worked fine. 

Thanks again

Zoltan Palffy

changing this setting should work everytime.

The Early Dates will ALWAYS change when the project is scheduled this is the whole point of scheduling.

the Early date are derived from the froward pass this is the earliest an activity can start and or finish based on progress todate, logic and any constraints.

The forward pass begins at the data date and goes forward in time and calculates the earliest dates that an activity can start and or finish based on progress todate, logic and any constraints.

The backward pass begins at the project must fininsh by date or the last activity if it has a constraint date and it goes backwards  in time and calculates the latest dates that an activity can start and or finish based on progress todate, logic and any constraints.

The difference between the late date and the early date is the totla float.

This is the basis of ALL cpm scheduling once you understand this the rest is easy. 

Emma Lang

Hi Zoltan, 

I've used this change before and it worked however it isn't working today on a different schedule. Could there be a reason for that? I've tried changing it back and forth a couple of times now with no impact. I'd like the logic to be driven by the forecast dates not the early dates. 

Also, what can have an impact on the early dates? They seem to change when the project is scheduled?

Thanks

Zoltan Palffy

yes you can go to tools schedule then options and change the 2 setting there half way down the page where it says When scheduling progressed activities select use actual dates and under that where it says calculate start to start lag from and change this to actual dates.